In my stupidity, I killed my favorite fish

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
My senegal bichir was being a real pain in the ass to my knives, so I moved him to my other 55 for a while, so they can gain some size. I honestly thought that it was a strong enough swimmer to not get suck into the AC 110 filter. I though wrong. Two lesson learn today: If it can fit into the filter inlet, it will get suck into it, and Bichirs aren't that strong of swimmers.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
That sucks. Didn't you have the intake strainer on it?

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I took it off, because the poop would get stuck in the strainer and all the fish in the tank originally are too tall to get sucked up.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Sorry for your loss - The strainers are there for a reason - THIS reason.

Even if the fish are too big to be sucked in, they can still get damaged.

Also - this prevents larger pieces of (poop, fish, rocks, plants, etc) to get at the impeller, which could damage the filter.

idzhamkarthik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Wangsa Maju
i made a msitake yesterday with my baby puffers , one of them got stuck and died in the filter.
had to replace them in the bowl while waiting for their new home.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I almost lost one of my African Dwarf Frogs due to my filter intake. Had to shut off the filter because the frog's backside was sucked up against the intake diffuser. At full flow, my Fluval 306 pulls a LOT of water. I created an outer basket around the intake with some netting and a couple of pringles can lids. Now the frogs hang out on top of it like it's special frog couch...

WP_20140831_007.jpg

Malefactor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
United States
Hey, now that's an idea... I was trying to figure out what i could do for smaller fish, but i didn't wanna use a sponge because then it would prevent any actual debris from getting through. As well, sponges can get clogged easier and cause the motor to burn out when flow is restricted too much or cut off all together. I will have to consider this option as something to try for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store