Feeding fish cooked chicken

s010245

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Philadelphia
I just got some exodons and they will eat pretty much anything. If I feed them chicken and other meata, does it have to be raw or can it be cooked as long as there are no spices on it? I fed plain cooked chick to my creek chubs once and they liked it but they pretty much lived in sewage.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Tetras and most to all fishes diet does not contain poultry! Try feeding raw white fish fillets or smelt/silversides. Talapia fillets are easy and convenient, I'd also shot for a good pellet or flake to add variety!

I know it seems rad and natural to have schooling predatory fish to eat meat and stuff but beef can cause water problems.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

s010245

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Philadelphia
Tetras and most to all fishes diet does not contain poultry! Try feeding raw white fish fillets or smelt/silversides. Talapia fillets are easy and convenient, I'd also shot for a good pellet or flake to add variety!

I know it seems rad and natural to have schooling predatory fish to eat meat and stuff but beef can cause water problems.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763
They eat pellets and flakes. I'm just thinking they could have the chicken every once in a while as a supplement. Also their natural diet doesn't contain feeder fish or tilapia

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm not sure cooked chicken will do them any good but fill a space in their guts. Their digestive system isn't geared for metabolizing terrestrial animal fats and oils. And any supplemental hormonal, amino acid, and mineral benefit is bottomed out from the cooking process. I'd also have some concerns about what the chicken may have been treated with before slaughter (antibiotics, hormones, etc.).

The chicken may yield zero adverse effects. But, any potential issues, to me, is not worth the risk to my collection/investment.

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
My first fish, 3 red belly piranha, all died at 2yrs old because of raw chicken. I had fed them it on occasion before and it was fine but this time I fed at lights out and they spat it back out after I had walked away, leaving it in the tank overnight. Just 6hrs ish later, the tank was a milky colour and the rbp's were on their last gasp.

I was told the bacteria in the filter cannot handle raw chicken or the like, which is why it killed them in hours.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yeah I'd imagine trout is just fine, as oddball said though cooked foods aren't good for fish, or any animals other then us.

Think of it this way, humans love to eat tons of pizza and wings, is it good for us? Not really no. Other then filling the stomach it only does bad things

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
They eat pellets and flakes. I'm just thinking they could have the chicken every once in a while as a supplement. Also their natural diet doesn't contain feeder fish or tilapia

Exos eat small fish, invertebrates, plants and anything else is can find so you may want to research this species a little more to dial in a good/varied diet (not trying to be insulting) Point is talapia like many white fish is an excellent source of protein/nutrition and very cheap, a much better option then chicken. Or better yet get a breeding colony of guppies or similar fish started in the tank, this way they always have a fresh supply of healthy fish, bones and all!

I'm not sure cooked chicken will do them any good but fill a space in their guts. Their digestive system isn't geared for metabolizing terrestrial animal fats and oils. And any supplemental hormonal, amino acid, and mineral benefit is bottomed out from the cooking process. I'd also have some concerns about what the chicken may have been treated with before slaughter (antibiotics, hormones, etc.).

The chicken may yield zero adverse effects. But, any potential issues, to me, is not worth the risk to my collection/investment.
+1

Its hard to even find chicken that's not tainted or injected with chemicals and that's when packaged, not considering their diet and growth hormones (like you said) which is adverse for a fish's health!

My first fish, 3 red belly piranha, all died at 2yrs old because of raw chicken. I had fed them it on occasion before and it was fine but this time I fed at lights out and they spat it back out after I had walked away, leaving it in the tank overnight. Just 6hrs ish later, the tank was a milky colour and the rbp's were on their last gasp.

I was told the bacteria in the filter cannot handle raw chicken or the like, which is why it killed them in hours.
that's horrible and I'm very sorry for your loss! Its all around bad.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Chicken will bulk up your fish fast. Faster than just about any other protein. Tuna fish farmers feed their tuna stocks with 30% chicken protein and they achieve a higher return per pound than anyone in the industry.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I know Croatian Blue Tuna farmers include chicken heart in the diets, but these are much much much larger fish w/ more then likely a better digestive system then a tiny 3 inch max tetra. Tunas also have a good amount of fat, I can't imagine exodons are able to handle that kind of fat

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store