Need urgent help please!

rittz

Banned
Jan 11, 2014
Arkansas
Where do I even start!? Today I started my breeding setup of fathead minnows (first try) the setup is a 35 gallon Rubbermaid wide. The rosy reds have a good amount of rockwork, brick, PVC pipe cuttings in the setup for breeding spots. Some already seem to be establishing territory. The setup is cycled and running smoothly.

HERES WHERE IT BECOMES A DISASTER!

Well the setup seems to being great since I added two dozen rosy reds. I can't find how many rosy reds should be in each spawning setup. Is my shoal too large to breed?

As I was posting a topic about my questions above I get a knock at my door from my landlord who knows I'm a fish geek told me a tenant left 10 common goldfish around three inches in a damn fish bowl! He told me to take them or he's putting them in the trash so I took them knowing I have no aquarium in my house that these fish would not be considered feeders. So I've placed them in the setup with the minnows until I figure smtg out but now that I'm seriously over stocked my tank may go to hell.. I'm using a 65 gallon and15 gallon HOB filter. With some serious daily water changes can theses fish make it one month Max?

I was debating getting a new pond this year, so now all the more reason! So please note these fish will be in s 175-225g pond in one month, will I be making these fish suffer in that aquarium for a month?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If you are going to try to keep that many fish in a 35 gallon stock tank, cut your feeding way down. Only feed maybe 3 times a week to keep ammonia levels down. Fish will be fine. Lowering the water temperature a few degrees will also help slow down the fish's metabolism.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
If I was you I would take the goldfish to a pet store and give them to it as feeders. You can bye nicer pond fish when your ready,feeders are cheap its not worth stressing out about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store