how to move an arowana

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
my arowana is becoming too small for my 55 gallon he is 16 inches long i need to move him to my pond. my pond is situated in my other house in order to shift him there i have to climb the steps i am worried that the arowana will jump it will be a long fall down if he manages to jump while iam taking him in the steps.
DSCN1678.JPG

any ideas on shifting him will be appreciated

DSCN1678.JPG

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
You need a big clear fish bag and a Styrofoam box or cooler big enough to fit him. You put the bag in the water sideways so he can swim into the opening. Then lift him out of the tank, put him in the box and move him. The only thing you need to really be careful of is him trying to jump out when he's in the bag. You have to close it fast and hold it shut tight so he doesn't jump out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calibigrob

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2012
Worldwide
I just moved my 26in arowana I took a towel n grab it n control it with less stress Work great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
using a bag is a good idea but the only problem is lifting the bag out of the tank be cause the tank has a small opening

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
You drain the water in the tank to as low as you can. It'll be much easier to catch him and reduces the chances of him jumping out.

Move water into a cooler (offers insulation and minimal temperature drop during transportation). Catch him with a bag (do not use a net) with minimal water to prevent him from ripping the bag, and release him into the cooler.
Dump a cap of stress coat, stick a battery powered air pump in there and you're good to go.

When you get to your other house toss some prime in and start with the acclimatization.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
As for the bag, you can pick up clear heavy duty bags for transporting fish at most local fish stores. They're pretty cheap.
Otherwise use a pillow case. Regular garbage bags or shopping bags will rip in a heartbeat.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've got a technique you could try dude , I used a carp landing net to move my 22" jardini , you need to get one of those collapsible fishing nets (triangular carp one) instead of setting the net up as a triangle use it like a sling once the aro is over/in the net lift it out and close the two plastic arms together holding them closed in parallel position , once you get to new setup or holding tank just lower net in and open it up flat again he'll swim out
Hope this makes sense its kinda hard to explain without showing you

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
When moving one of my silvers at 26" with a plastic shipping bag he busted through it. I would recommend double bagging it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store