Wide tanks vs tall tanks and fish aggression

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Would a tanks height help out with fish aggression more than a tank's width/depth?

I had a tall 225 gallon and I was able to keep a mix of mean fish like midas' and FH'S but I'm curious if I would have the same success with a wide tank.

Granted, I understand that all fish have different personalities... but I was curious to what experiences and preferences other's experience were.

I have an option to get a 150 tall... standard 6 ft long but it was about 30 inches tall I think and 18 inches wide. But I might have an option to get a 150 deep that's 6 feet long, I'm not sure how tall it is but it looks much wider than the normal 18 inches.

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I like wide tanks period. Hiding places goes better at all stages of the water column, regardless of height with a wider tank. And it's easier for all fish to swim around obstacles breaking line of sight.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Wide to me is better because it gives more options and also more opportunity to break site in some instances.

Sent from my LGL86C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Going with long and wide over tall. As very few fish use the space above the mid water level. If your fish is hiding at the top he is probably being picked on.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
A wider tank would be better unless you were talking about an insanely tall tank. At a local Adventure Aquarium they have 10' or 12' show that tank that is maybe 3' deep and 5' or 6' tall. It houses a foot long red devil, a couple vieja, red bay snook and some other CA cichlids and they all live happily together. Some stay closest to the bottom while others stay mid level. Remember in the wild most fish we keep arent found in less than 2' of water like how we keep them in our tanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have 150 gallon tank it is 48 long 24 wide 30 inches tall, I think you have your sizes out of wack. I keep small fish in it and a nice piece of sinking wood and they fill the entire water column of, I do not think it is a good tank for aggressive or territorial fish.

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
I believe it really does come down to what fish one is housing. In most cases i agree a tank that gives you the greatest surface area ( length x depth) over height allows for the greatest chance for more fish per gallon cohabitating. The exception to this where a tall water column works in favor is with species that normally live at different water zone levels or perhaps making a fish reef. I have seen very nice reef walls in a 4 or 5 foot deep tank for african cichlids. The reef was built around a central column overflow box to disguise it and had fish staking territory up the whole of it. So again depending on the fish to be housed will influence which style tank is better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store