Cycling a filter

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I ordered a new canister filter to supplement the one I already have, how long should it take for that canister to become completely cycled?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You could take swap out some media from filter that is running to the new filter that will speed up the process:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Depends on your bioload, check parameters weekly , IMO if parameters are not level in a month either to many fish, or overfeeding.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I just cleaned the filter and tossed all the carbon... I run biological on biowheels :/

bio wheels for your bio load is very sketchy. First and biggest reason is that they stop turning sometimes leading for your BB to die.. I have to give mine a couple wacks to get it going again and also that they dont have very much surface area. I found this as a good read.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/12/do-bio-wheels-really-work.html

look into some ceramic media for your bio!

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
bio wheels for your bio load is very sketchy. First and biggest reason is that they stop turning sometimes leading for your BB to die.. I have to give mine a couple wacks to get it going again and also that they dont have very much surface area. I found this as a good read.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/12/do-bio-wheels-really-work.html

look into some ceramic media for your bio!
That was certainly a good read, I usually don't completely rely on my biowheels but I had an algae bloom and I put a polishing pad in the filter to clean it up.
Anyways, my new filter should be in wednesday and will be much better than my current one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store