Gar mates

sgibby88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2014
south jersey
So i ordered a florida longnose gar and it should be here by tuesday and I was wondering how will it be in a 72 to 75 gallon bow front tank. Right now the tank has 2 tiger barbs 4 small red tetras a rainbow shark about an inch and a half long a bala shark roughly 5 and a half inches long and a pangious catfish roughly 6 long. I know the barbs and tetras and rainbow wont last. But what aboutthe bala and pangious I plan on having a 150 but summer time and im not passing this fish up as I have always wanted since I was little being my uncle had one. Im just curiousabout the 2 particular tank mates is all being I haventseen anybody bring them up through the research I have done. Your replies are greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think that bala shark will be the first to go. You don't see information on these tankmates because it's assumed that small, peaceful fish like that will be eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sgibby88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2014
south jersey
Thanks for the answers. The bala is rather thick and same with the catfish. The bala is also the bullie in the tank. Like a stated before a 150 is in the near future as in by summer time. I was curious as to if anybody has tried this combo and how successful was it. I kinda figured the balas silver would havea big affect.

sgibby88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2014
south jersey
So I think I havea little bit of time. It definitely would need a rather large mouth to swallow the bala or catfish. I know the gar should be between 4 to 6 inches as per the sales rep. Andi plan on aiming for bigger by next year.but a 150 for now

sgibby88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2014
south jersey
No photo source. How big are they normally at a few weeks old? The guy did say they were only a few weeks old

Browning

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Delaware
Ive never seen a gar for sale under 6 inches. An as a general rule of thumb u always want a tank width twice the size of your gar so they have room to turn around. An every gar ive ever had with the right conditions grow fast. And in time the bala will more than likely become a meal.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
First - this isn't the time for gars to breed, and second, if it truly is a gar, and it really is that small/young, chances are survival are very small - especially in a mixed tank.

And - no photo ? You're just taking this guy's word for it ? Bad choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store