Feeder fish for predator

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Which feeder fish provide the best nutrition for predators (snakehead in particular) as an occasional treat? I want to set up a "pretty" tank with a Siamese fighter, some small tropical catfish (not cories or otto cats but not certain which) and some live breeders, with the aim to use offspring as a treat for my Channa (obviously feeding pellets and dead as a staple). I'm thinking of setting it up as about a 30-40 litre tank, fairly heavily stocked, can't decide between guppies or neon tetras. Or, would a breeding pair of convicts be better? I want something pretty, fairly interesting and that would be fairly nutritious... something that would give me experience of breeding would also be good I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
i vote guppies. they are pretty, nutritous, only problem is you're gonna need alot of them to satisfy a snakehead

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Ok, that sounds good :) i'll only be feeding as a treat to keep his natural behaviour there, he's only a dwarf so don't want to feed anything big as I think it's cruel to feed things that get ripped apart alive (just my thoughts). Wanted to check guppies were ok as I have heard about the problems with rosy reds and goldfish nutritionally

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Petrella88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
Chicago
What about small mammals like feeder mice? IMO PROBABLY better to go with pinkies because they are hairless and you won't risk an adult rodent injuring your fish. You can also try a variety of insects or worms but avoid anything you find outside as it may have came in contact with harmful pesticides. My large fish have always been fans of the occasional tomato horn worms and crayfish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Landlord wouldn't agree to me keeping mice I don't think, and I want to breed anything I feed so I know about disease etc... Crayfish would be a good idea, especially if there is a breeding population of invasives down by the river...

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Ok, crickets do sound quite fun, and would add extra variety, can they be bred?

All u need is a Rubbermaid, dark place, gel cubes and cardboard.

But w/ guppies all u gave to do is throw 12 or more in the tank.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Think I will stick with guppies then, as means I get another tank as well as easy to breed... not live, but which would people go for for an 8-12 inch fish, sinking carnivore or massivore? Just I've found somewhere I can import massivore for a decent price....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store