Feeders died from freeze. Stiil OK to feed?

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I had (have) outside wall sockets that are total garbage. The jerk who built the house was a do it yourself type and messed the wiring up miserably.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. They never trip a breaker, but from time to time, the outdoor ponds are not getting electricity and I have to run the extension cord(s) to a different outlet.

I changed the outdoor ponds on 1/5/2014. When I went to change the two around the side of the house yesterday, they were not getting electricity. The extreme cold temperatures froze both pond surfaces to around 3".

I hammered the gar pond surface and all 8 LNG's were fine. I brought them inside in a large rubbermaid tub.

The other pond had a couple hundred Golden Shiner minnows ~ 4" - 5" range. Every shiner minnow died. Many are inside of the surface ice, others I see on the bottom.

The question should I still use the minnows to feed my predatory fish?

Factors to take into consideration:

1. The minnows had been in that pond since September 2013. I have lost only one minnow from then until last week, and they were healthy as of 1-5-2014.
2. The surface of the minnow pond is still frozen over. Even the liquid water below the ice in the gar pond made my hand numb when I grabbed each of the gars out. I seriously doubt that much decomposition is taking place at the temperature the pond is at now.
3. Would the area of the pond that the minnows died make a difference as to their feedablilty? IE. are the fish on the bottom "not safe" where the floaters that are encased in ice no are preserved and ok to feed to predators?

Thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Same here and I wasn't aware that gars could take such temperatures.

Catfishracer

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2009
London, UK
LNG here live under ice all winter. And then roll through 100 degree days of summer. They are very hard to kill. Hardy as hell.

I would feed those minnows in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Same here and I wasn't aware that gars could take such temperatures.
Longnose have no problem with cold, my hands however:chillpill:

Florida gar are a different story. I had 4 of 14 winter successfully in the farm pond, and all were > 12".

These were the babies that I bought from Scott. They are all still under a foot and way too small for the farm pond this season. (Would be bass munchies at this point!)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store