My DIY Stand and canopy for 48x24 120g

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Quit my job a few weeks ago, so I started building my own after the whole buying a stand and canopy with termites last week. Not to bad for couple of hours a day for a week (yes, started it last monday).

Little bit on the structure: I went overboard just a smidge which is apparent by the framing that I will show in the pics. Footprint for the aquarium is 48x24 and the stand is 33 3/4 inches tall. I used 96 feet of white pine 2x4's, ~140 9 guage 2 1/2 inch screws. 2 box frames for the ground and aquarium, 2 inner 2x4's at 33 inches tall, and inbetween the boxes are two 26" 2x4's. Decking for the aquarium to sit on is 3/4" ply and the same for the bottom deck for the filter to sit on. After that, wrapped it in sanded 1/2" ply, select sanded 1x4 pine for trim.

Canopy was quite a bit easier as it only has to hold the weight of itself. Total is 14" tall, but only rises 12" above the aquarium to hide the rims on the aquarium itself. Same sanded 1/2" sanded ply, 1x2 box frame, no vertical support. Just 1x2 for attaching the ply to make a box. The flip for it is going to use a 48" piano hinge to hide the gap for light escaping and is 6 inches deep into the aquarium.

All the trim was attached using woodglue and 18 guage finish nails. Tapped in to wood putty over for a clean smooth look. Basically because I don't have or like clamps. Nor did I use a square or a level until after I was done. Yes, I know, I like to challenge myself and did have to reassemble a couple of peices before trim and ply.

Now it's time for staining and clear coating. And pictures!

The overboard framing, and yes those are the aquarium doors on the bottom there. I'm not putting any hardware on until it's stained and glossed.

Front of the stand and doors again.

Showing the cut for where the piano hinge will go giving me access to the tank.

Framing inside of canopy

Front of the canopy/tank/top of the stand.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Can't see it but I also have 2 cross braces on top and bottom boxes to keep it from flexing. 13 3/4 OC from the outer 2x4's making 4 total. Bottom 3/4 ply for the filter to sit on was cut into 3 sections with 6 screws each to aid in less flexing. Top piece of ply is screwed into the cross braces with 4 screws. And of course we all know 3/4 ply is not by any means perfect. edges where the tank sits were all sanded and the bowed side was faced up to help with spreading the weight evenly across the 2x4 frame.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
So then the following year I got around to painting it black ( because to hell with staining) and the inside of the canopy white for reflective purposes. And yes I got that busy and lazy it went untouched for a year lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
And now this year I've been going crazy on it. Got the poly done except for the front of the canopy (which is drying as I'm typing).

And I've got the hardware and doors installed.

Now all that's left is to let the poly dry for a few days and attach the piano hinge to it. And of course the stuff inside the aquarium.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Thanks. I've done a few things over the years and I like to work with my hands. And I can honestly say I could've done better. But I've seen worse from more experienced people too. I'm sure most of us have that have been in fields of labor.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
So I skipped ahead and put the light up before putting the front of the canopy on. Cause it's still not cured (cursed poly for taking up to a week to cure fully). And what do ya know the goddamn beams work LED light doesn't fit inside the canopy with the timer module.

So that means drilling a hole into my canopy to make it fit. I'm so pissed at this. Had to destroy the awesome thing I made with a half inch hole to fit a $50 light fixture.

And I can't return it because I was supposed to have this all done around the holidays but hosting 25 people for Christmas dinner got in the way. None the less starting my own business last week

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
All done just need to put the filter on, heater in and add decor and water and then the fishes!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
And with the light on in all modes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg