New fish aggression

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
So after stripping my community back to the two fish I couldn't bare to part with, a singular 7 inch Satanoperca Lecousticta and a 3 inch Calvus (unlikely combo, different requirements etc I know, but its a long story and is currently working so that is a topic for another day). Any way, I began to add some fish and put in a 4 inch Geophagus Altifrons and a 2 inch Geophagus Brasiliensis, and at that point everything was fine. I have since add another 4 inch Altifrons and a small GeophagusSteindachneri.

Since I add the last two fish the Brasiliensis has been nothing but agro and is harassing Steindachneri A LOT. There is no sign of physical damage but the Brasiliensis is pretty relentless with the chasing. I have also seen the little b******d nipping the bigger fish so he is clearly unsettling the tank which is not what I want clearly.

I have 3 options, put him in another tank that currently occupies a pair of breeding Sajica (could mean death for him so prob not the best idea), put up with it and hope the aggression gets better (unlikely with this species if his aggressive at this small size) or get rid of him (take back to LFS)

Any suggestions or tips on how to reduce the aggression in this particular species?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Tank size would be helpful.

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
+1 to the tank size, that stock list is pretty hefty. if you're keeping them in say a 75, yeah you're gonnna have problems. please tell me its a 120+...
in the meantime try putting alot of physical boundries, stones, plants, driftwood, decor, etc

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
They are currently in a 92g corner tank. I have decided to take the brasiliensis back to the LFS and leave the stock as it is with out him.

You are right that is a fairly hefty stock. Even without the brasiliensis that is a large stock and not going to work out for life.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store