Can you sex this fish?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That is a peacock not a JD and it is a male. If its listed as JD you must have gotten a deal cause JD's go for alot less than peacocks.

willyb1972020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Delawere
I didn't buy it yet. Wanted to know for sure what it was its listed for $20. I was looking for fish i could breed with my convict and i know jd's are one of them.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
If you do breed your convict with a JD what are you going to do with all those fry? What are your goals since you don't know what a JD looks like? Just trying to make something different?

willyb1972020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Delawere
I am getting my hands wet in breeding i have a spawn from two cons right now. Long term i want to see if i can get a m and fm dark blue or electric blue convict with the black stripes. The fry that i don't keep will be fish food. Have two people right now that will take them. I have an extra 10 gal tank right now for the fry and looking at another 3 20gals. Hoping to get a total of 9 20gals. If i do i will make another 3 tier stand. The fish will never end up in a fish store, pond, ect.

willyb1972020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Delawere
What are your goals since you don't know what a JD looks like? Just trying to make something different?
Sometimes i have a hard time telling fish apart only know a hand full by looking at them. By no means am i an expert but have had fish my whole life.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Before you start breeding you really need to do some research it isnt as simple as stick a blue fish with a convict. once you hybrid them with another fish them they are no longer convicts. google JD convict hybrid and see what the fry look like. I don't think you are going to get what you are looking for. Crossing and EBJD with a convict wont give you an EBJD convict because it is a recessive trait. You need both parents to have the EB gean.

What you need to do is find a convict that has blue coloring (they are out there) and breed strains for that trait it is going to take years. But you will have something you can be proud of. If you stick with convicts you can also ethically pass off the off spring. I recommend allot of research before attempting this. you are also going to need at least 4 empty tanks for different stages of fry and fry that have the desired trait you are looking for.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Sometimes i have a hard time telling fish apart only know a hand full by looking at them. By no means am i an expert but have had fish my whole life.
Before getting into a breeding project become an expert. It takes expert level knowledge so much more than even being able to ID fish. You will be happy with the results when you do. half the fun of fish keeping is learning.

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
I am getting my hands wet in breeding i have a spawn from two cons right now. Long term i want to see if i can get a m and fm dark blue or electric blue convict with the black stripes. The fry that i don't keep will be fish food. Have two people right now that will take them. I have an extra 10 gal tank right now for the fry and looking at another 3 20gals. Hoping to get a total of 9 20gals. If i do i will make another 3 tier stand. The fish will never end up in a fish store, pond, ect.
Already sort of exists as a species and not a hybrid. Google HRP Cichlid and look at the images. 'honduran red point' (Blue Convict cichlid) is cool little convict cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store