Lets talk about rocks and fossils (pix)

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
uploadfromtaptalk1389653476831.jpg

I had lost a big bag of rocks collected on the shore of lake erie, finally found them! Can anyone tell me if these are all good to use or will they mess up water chemistry? Also whats the best way to sterilize them?

I also have some fossils i would like to add to the main tank, pic of them

uploadfromtaptalk1389653630377.jpg

Now ive heard shale isnt very good for your water chemistry, didnt hear why though. It seems like most of the rocks from the shore are types of sandstone, and the fossils and mostly shale w/ the exception of the middle one, which also happens to be the most heavily fossil-ized

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ahh nice collection friend. I have a treasured limestone 50-60 million year old perch fossil.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I think shale releases lots of dust and bits into your water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Lool I remember when i got really pissed when my grandmother threw away a complete ammonite fossil that I found in my back yard. i thought it was so rare!

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I have read you can test the rocks with vinegar if it fizzes no good.I never tried it.I always boil rocks for maybe 15 min. Be careful and lower the temp. To simmer. I collect rocks from all over to use in tanks. never use anything with rust stains or smells

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I keep limestone-replaced ammonites and fossil corals in my tanks to help maintain high pH for my africans. In other tanks, I keep agatized dinosaur bones and petrified woods as current breaks and for the oddity of it.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I have read you can test the rocks with vinegar if it fizzes no good.I never tried it.I always boil rocks for maybe 15 min. Be careful and lower the temp. To simmer. I collect rocks from all over to use in tanks. never use anything with rust stains or smells

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Should never even say that on a public forum. Many rocks have air pockets in them, and if you just say boil and some kids do it and guess what. It blows up sending fragments everywhere.

Best bet is to boil water and pour it on the rock, 2 usually does the trick.

Vinegar as stated prior works.

girliefishlips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
North TX
Love the fossils! I used to keep some fossils in my tanks, just some shells and clams found in parking lot gravel, lol.
Shale isn't a problem if your tank ph is neutral or higher. Acidic water (ph below 7) will dissolve the shale making the water hard. It is calcium based rock, and, usually perfectly safe in aquaria, unless you are trying to maintain a soft, acid ph tank.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Ah i see thanks for the help guys, Oddball im gonna have to look for more things like petrified wood and dino fossils to add to my tanks. My favorite (polypterus) is basically a dino-fish so a fossilized theme in the tank sounds like the only big themed tank id ever want haha

Im going back to the fossil site where i got the first ones soon, its like a 20$ admission and you can take whatever. Last time i was there i was like 14, so in 7 years i bet a whole new layer of fossil is available

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store