Question about buying fish in Canada

Uchiha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2011
in my tank
Ok I wanted to known if I can cross the border to Canada and buy a flowerhorn and bring it back? Or will the border patrol take it??

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
I know I guy from our fish club who is a retired long haul trucker. He told me he brought fish into Canada from the states all the time but would be risky he did say some where confiscated

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
You have to apply for importation licenses. I use to throw a box of fish in the overhead compartment when flying back from the States. Can't do that since 911. That is the main reason a lot of guys won't buy online up here. That $20 Umbee will cost $200 when it gets here once all the Import fees and taxes are paid..

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Here in Calgary Giant Snakeheads are legal, but in eastern Canada they are illegal. I keep getting messages from people asking me to sell them my snakehead in the east.
the USA has loads of breeders for reptiles and fish, but here we have no access to it unless we pay the huge import fee. most of our fish come from Asia.

I crossed the border into montana and all I had to do was say why im leaving and why I am coming back. now that I think about it there was nothing about the process that would have deterred smuggling

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
Canada allows us to bring back aquarium fish for personal use so long as its not on the invasive list, some silly laws like we can only do it once every 90 days and must keep the fish for a year...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store