Arapaima Faded Fin Tip & Rot

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, there has to be a first of course.
With the cold water lately and this week some Koi that died, I spotted 2 small dots on the tail of Mr. T, my arapaima...
Looks like fin-rot to me, so looked up a bit on it.

1. Changing water. Monster-task by itself, but will be done.
2. Isolated the Koi-pond, which means switching off 1 filter for the main pond for now, but I'll be looking in to getting the Koi all out later, then pump that part empty and have it restart without the Koi.
3. Aeration... We're in another cold weather spell again, night-time around 19'C so I have to keep 1 air pump off at night to keep the water above 23.
4. Heaters going back in and trying to warm it up as much as possible.
5. Stop feeding the other fish, only fresh Shrimp/Prawn for Arapaima and 2 RTC's.
6. I have read in several forums that NaCl (SeaSalt / Rock Salt) is to be added to the water, but I'm very hesitant to do just that in fear of overdosing/worsening the situation.
- What I am thinking off is to dissolve it in clean water (bucket), then use a sponge and wipe his tail while he gets his prawns..
7. Fishing day this coming Saturday. Taking out as many of the 'fillers' (Tilapia and Carp) as possible to reduce the load in the pond.

Any suggestions are very welcome....

Regards,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, took out about 30~40% of the water, now filling up again. Mind you, that's 20,000 liter...
Tomorrow emptying the Koi's, got a small filter and medication for them.
Added the first 2 soup bowls full of Rock Salt, mixed in water, about 15 liter, first, almost completely dissolved and then added to the pond.
Arapaima passed by so a good deal of the water went over his tail-fin when I put it in.
Got some different pellets, Koi pellets, see if he likes them, about 50% protein content, 5% fat..
Tomorrow also take out the Tilapia we can catch and some other fish that get into the net.

Reducing the load, tomorrow adding at least 4 buckets full of water, each mixed with 2 soup bowls of Rock Salt.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Hey Luc, I got your message.

The salt will help a little. Do you have a refractometer or hydrometer to measure the salt level once you start to add it to the water? Try to get it around 3-5 ppt (parts per thousand) The water change should help as well.

Are you able to get pictures of the spots on the tail? If we can get a positive identification of the problem, we can suggest a good treatment for you. Due to the water volume in the pond, the best option is probably going to be some type of medication added to the food.

Luckily, arapaima at this size are very strong and able to fight off most problems as long as they are healthy.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Hello Matt, thanks for your reply.
Will need to find a refracto meter. For now adding salt carefully and slowly.
Tomorrow will bring the camera, so I can get under-water pictures as well.

One of the things that doesn't help is the low temperature of the water, but instructed the guards to keep both pumps on until 10pm with temperature still at 24'Celcius. After that, 1 pump off to minimize cooling the water down at night. 1 stays on all night. Water temperature at the moment is between 23.5 and 24.

He's still hungry and moving around as usual, increasing his daily feeding with fresh prawns to 4 times for time being. He can be stubborn with anything that's not to his taste though...lol. Quite the character.
Ok...will get pictures of it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Regards,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Oh... In the shop where I bought the salt (40kg bag..) the owner told me that approx 200gr per 1000 liter of water is what they use as norm.. That would total to 10kg for 50,000 liter if my math is not failing me.
Will get a refracto meter somewhere.. Safer...

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Agreed a close pic would help with ID and treatment options.

As an FYI if it is a localized condition in addition to salting the pond you could spot treat the area with Methylene Blue or Iodine/Betadine. If you do this don't be suprized if the fin looks worse before it gets better.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Tom,
Pictures tomorrow morning Thai time.
Anybody could point me to good electronic test equipment that's not on too expensive..appreciate..

Kind regards,
Luc

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Your welcome. I'll leave the equipment recomendations to others, not my area of expertise.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store