Switching to sand

garboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Chadds Ford PA
I think I'm gonna make the leap and switch to sand instead of gravel. Is it worth it? Is it harder to clean? I. Really want to because I'm thinking of putting a male motoro in my 225 or is the tank to small? Dims are 72x27x27

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

willyb1972020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Delawere
Sand is harder to clean and if you use a magnet glass cleaner it can scratch the glass. If your fish stir it up alot it can mess up your filter. That being said alot of people do use it and it does look good in some tanks with some fish. I had aquarium sand in my tetra tank tell it got in the empeller and i had to get a new one.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
I find sand much easier to clean than a gravel substrate. All the debris will just lay on top of the sand.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

willyb1972020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Delawere
I am thinking of going to a tile bottom from rock. Sure looks better then looking at the glass bottom. O and lower maintenance then sand or gravel. No were for uneaten food or poo to sit and hide. But that is just my opinion.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Dang maybe I'll do mixture of both. Maybe bear bottom maybe I'll just do slate rock

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 i do tht to my tanks. to my opinion, will make your tank look more natural plus with stood driftwoods and dimmed lights. i found it's harder to clean sand than gravel. i dont know why, my vacuum just doesnt want to suck the poop on the sand, it only works on gravel. lol up to you though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store