Need advice about my rec

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I have had my rec sense June at first he would only eat black worm a then I got him on nightcrawler and I have tried to get him on telapia a few times sense then. He had is last worm 4 days ago each day I have tried telapia and shrimp soaked in worm juice he will jump right on them both but spits them right back out. What should I do now continue with the telapia and shrimp try something else or just give him is nightcrawler back attached is a pic from this morning ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389689674.690669.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Very difficult almost impossible to see him in the pic. Assuming he has good weight on him i would continue. Make sure the worms are cut up so the shrimp can take on the juices of the worm. Give him both the shrimp and worm mixture. Then start to try him on just the shrimp after a few days of giving him the mixture of both.

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
Sorry Is this pic any better my phone camera isn't great. My concern is he may still be to small for the starving him out. He is 5 inches across his disc and 12 inches nose to tail tip.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389701002.548361.jpg

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
its not a good pic but the edge of the disc looks frayed. try get a better pic with white light to make sure hes ok before trying new foods.

i replied to another thread a few days ago about getting rays onto new foods using the "worm juice" method that might be of use but you need to make sure everything else is ok first

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I saw the post about the worm juice. I am trying that method this time. I place telapia shrimp cut up worm in a little water and it has been socking in my frig sense then but he still won't eat it what do you mean about his disc. He as a lot of open tank to swim but he likes to hide . ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389708197.758174.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389708307.111660.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
If he still looks healthy enough to stare more keep going. When he does look skinny to the point that he needs to eat just feed him well one time and one time only his food he usually eats and then go back to the other for a few days till he looks hungry and keep repeating. Eventually he will switch over and eat the new food but don't feed him multiple days of the old foods.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
keep in mind looking hungry and looking skinny are different things. i dont use the same method as didsys but everybody has their own methods i guess.
to me if you are trying to introduce a new food and keep going back to the old one the ray will hold out for what its used to and get skinny.

best thing i guess is to pick a method and stick to it untill the ray either looks skinny or is eating the new food.

looking at your new pics, your ray looks good. nice fat tail too :)

something i just noticed. ... your substrate looks quite deep. rays like to "dig" in the substrate and i would be concerned about dead zones and bad bacteria in such deep substrate. something to have a look into at least. i dont know if you have one but remember you need a heater guard.

good luck but im sure you wont need it :)

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
Thanks for the info. I have a inline heater so it isn't even in the tank and Turn my sand with almost every water change to prevent dead spots

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
He finally ate 1 small piece about the size of 1/2 pencil eraser and 3 pieces about that size this evening. He is 5 inches across and 12 inches long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store