Restoring a wrought iron stand.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a two tiered stand that is about ninety five percent covered with surface rust and I've been thinking about doing something to make it look better and possibly save it.The top level can hold a twenty nine gallon based on its length and width.I was thinking sanding off the surface rust,giving it a good wipe and then slap a few coats of Rustoleum on it to bring it back to presentability...is that a word? Anyhow,if anyone has any other tips or ideas for restoring it would be appreciated.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I've restored a few iron stands. Wire brush, wire wheel on a drill, sandpaper, emery cloth, steel wool. Wipe down with paint thinner then paint. Takes time, but looks good as new when finished. If you know someone with a sandblaster, it would make the job even easier.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks Joe and I know someone who might have a sandblaster.I'll have to run this by him.What is the purpose of applying the paint thinner?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Krich, I would suggest gold plate. It makes a real stand out in your room stand.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Krich, I would suggest gold plate. It makes a real stand out in your room stand.
Sounds like it would then be right at home with the gold toilet paper from that thread in the lounge.....talk about gaudy lol!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks again JJ!

BigFinn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
America
I know that aluminum foil and warm water work wonders on surface rust. Fold the foil up a few times and dip it in warm water while brushing the rust.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I like good old Rust-Oleum paint, you barely have to prop the surface and it sticks well. I started using the satin finish and really like it the best. Their gloss is way too shiny and the flat way too dull. I like the look of Hammerite also, it kind of reminds me a a powder coat type finish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store