Is it possible for me to get a stingray

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Alright I just am going to say READ THE ENTIRE POST before you click the back page button in anger. I have the opportunity to get a reticulated stingray and was wandering how long one could stay in a 75 gallon tank with medium SA cichlids and some catfish. The tank is 76 degrees with a very loose gravel bottom. I know I would have to upgrade for it in the future and could get up to a150 gallon tank for it in my basement. However my baent won't be ready for the tank for a MINIMUM of 1 year if not 2. How long could I keep the ray in the 75 before I would have to move it. If it grows to quick or won't be comfortable then I won't get it but if possible I will as I have long dreamed of having a freshwater ray of any kind in an aquarium. If it is possible for me to get one the. Please give some tips and good info about the ray and I will research the rest.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm not a ray guy - yet. I would suggest you read the stickies for basic information like this.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Put some sand in there and it may work. But retic aren't very good starter rays. When they're small they are fragile. Also, with the cichlids and catfish it may be difficult to get food to it. What's your filtration like?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Maybe 210 would work for a while but without any other fish.
And definitely use a little sand not gravel.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
We'll I guess I can't do A ray sadly since I definitely cannot get bigger than a 150. The filter on the 75 is a fluval 406. I already have the tank full if water so I can't change substrate.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Dont get a ray until you can get a 180 plus gallon tank. Also retics are very difficult to get to thrive in captivity!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Motoros are great rays to start with. But they can get 30 inches plus. So you'd be looking at a 8 ft x 4 ft tank.
Best to stick with what you can handle. Then maybe someday. :D
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
It's good you are thinking long run and realize it's not possible now. At one point you can get a big tank or pond and then have them?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store