What size tank is too big for second floor?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

As we look for a spot in the house, we found two spots that we would really prefer to have the tank and they come at a risk. We never had a tank as large as 220 gallon tank and for sure not on second floor. Is there a certain weight that most second floor homes can easily handle besides small tanks? Also how can we make sure that the spot is strong enough to hold the tank? If it matters the area it will be is tiled.

Thanks A Million

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
When you say second floor do you mean basement main floor second floor. Or do you mean basement second floor because if you mean the first example I think a 220 is to big for that. Please explain your homes layout and what is where for support.

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
A lot of it depends on the size of the floor joists and how they are attached.. Try to find that out and you'll get a better idea. Additionally find out which directions the joists run just to make sure you don't put your tank between joists because that wont hold much at all. Another thing to take into consideration is will it be on or near a load bearing wall. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration before putting a tank on the second floor.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A rough estimate for a large tank might be 10 to 12+ pounds per gallon. This can vary with the type of stand and the stuff you put in the tank. So you may be looking at 2200 to 2640 pounds or more

Here is the web address of an article that talks about the issue.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

My take is that the question can only be answered by someone with knowledge of structure actually having a look to see what you have and what condition it is in. There have been posts (a link follows) describing damage from tanks from time to time, so it does happen.

In case some missed this thread a while back here is a link to it. A look at the pictures should give pause, they did for me.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-out-there-Question-about-reinforcing-a-floor

Good luck

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Definitely best to get a professional opinion. The safest bet without seeing your house would be 75-125 gallon max on a non-reinforced floor above a basement. I wouldn't feel comfortable with even a 125 on a 2nd floor myself, but I've seen it more than a few times.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
My 120 is on the second floor but i would not think of putting something bigger on the second floor

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
on my 2nd floor (floor above basement) I have my 72"x30"x25" tank. roughly 225 gallons or so. tank is from glasscages, its super heavy, tank alone is over 500 lbs. Then add the stand, canopy, water, and filtration, stock list. My tank is heavier than having a lotus parked in my house with a smaller footprint than the car too.. I just bought 2 Tiger Brand Super "S" 8 ft. 4 in. Jack Post-J-S-100 and setup under the tank in my basement. Also the tank is near a main support for the house. Tank has been filled only for a few weeks, but no problems yet. Hopefully I don't hear a "told ya so" in the near future... just imagine the extra weight of a group of adults standing around the tank too.. probably almost 5000 lbs.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Defiantly would need to grab a professional's opinion to be on the safe side. If it fails the opinion and cost's too much to make the floor stronger my best bet would be what the folks preferred in the first place is on the enclosed patio outside onto of nothing but concrete/Basement. This will bring about challenges as it can get cold out there even with the newly installed glass windows however think if we insulate the roof of the patio it might just work as the roof is all wood 2x4s. The only issue I have is, is there a possibility the glass will crack if it's too cold? Of coarse won't attempt unless after the insulation is installed and monitor temperatures in the patio during the months of winter. I think if I could get the temp in the patio to stay over 60 degrees electricity shouldn't be much of a problem compared to if it was in the house....well still have work to do, thanks everyone for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store