Possible Aro rescue with Barbel damage

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
I've been looking around for another silver for my monster tank and I saw this guy on craigslist. This poor 20" Aro is currently in a 55 gallon aquarium. My concern is he has a lot of scar tissue on top of his mouth at the base of the barbels.

Is this going to be permanent damage? Is there anyway to correct it without doing some surgery on him?

Craigslist Ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/4283648120.html
Pictures:

00r0r_9vwC50xxXCJ_600x450.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If this really is a "rescue" then take him for what he is. I would enjoy him and let the rest take care of itself.
If you are looking for a show fish, buy one.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
can't really see the damage in the pic's but i'd say it's probably just from rubbing against the glass if he was being held in such a small tank. And if that's the case it'll heal, unless he's rubbed down to the bone or something i doubt it'll even scar.

I have to say for a "rescue" he looks ot be in very good shape. I dont see that many big healthy looking aro's, those few who make it to a decent size are normally obeasly fat with horrible drop eye.

Good find!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
So buying a fish is a rescue? IMO $120 for that silver is ridiculous. Buying this aro at that price just encourages the seller to buy another to sell for profit in a year. :irked:

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
as long as the the barbells are still there I would not worry about it, if they were missing completely I would say don't buy it because if there is not at least a nub the chances of having a show fish is not likely, $120.00 bucks is not a bad price for one that big

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store