[Help] Am i slowly un-cycling my tank?

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
alright i have a 120Gallon red belly piranha tank and a 10gallon tank with about 200 red belly fry in it.

im a rookie to fish keeping but online Research has told me to do daily/bi-daily water changes on the fry tank using water from the mother tank. i have been following this for almost 3 weeks now. After syphoning 2-5gallons out of my mother tank into the fry tank...i ADD 2-5gallons of freshwater treated with Aquasafe to replace what i took out.
Recently my 120 Gallon tank has become cloudy and my piranhas are starting to swim low and sluggish.

im wondering if im uncycling my tank with all this new water being added daily/bi-daily? is there such a thing?
i know its not a good idea to rapidly change water like that but thought it wouldnt be an issue considering its on a small scale.

oh and all my parameters are the same as always.

also, if theres any breeders reading this... how old do the fry have to be before i can do a water change with Fresh new water instead of water from the mother tank.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Looking purely at the main tank you are simply doing a 5% daily water change. There is absolutely no reason why this would destabilize the tank or cause cloudiness. There must be something else going on which is causing the cloudiness. What else changed?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
oh and all my parameters are the same as always.

QUOTE]

What are the numbers of those parameters?

How many RBP, and what size, do you have in the 120?

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
the mother tank could be more polluted than the fry tank...

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Water changes don't impact the beneficial bacteria at all. A test kit and some numbers will us help you out. Have you cleaned the filters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store