juvenile frontosas

FrontosaA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
michigan
Hello all, i am new to this site and just would like to ask few questions since it seems like there is alot of people on this forum that know alot of info that i might not know. So i recentally set up my 75 gallon for frontosas, yes i know this is a small tank for them but im simply using it as a grow out so i can put them in a 135 that i have not in use. the substrate i use is argonite cichlid sand and have holy rock and big river rocks as well. for filtration i have 2 emporor 400's running. I have the temp set at approx 79 degrees. I purchased my first 3 juvenile fronts and within 3 days 2 of them died. I took my water to the LFS near by and they said everything checked out fine. So just yesterday i purchased 4 more and i woke up today with 1 dead. I simply do not know what going on I feed a mix of brine shrimp blood worms and some flakes. They eat it and spit everything out. im just frusstrated and do not know what to do but i really want to keep these fish any thoughts on what is happening? i just dropped the temp to 74 75 degrees after reading a few threads. please help.

Robulus153

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Greenville SC
I know some pet stores don't do a good job testing water. Did they test amonia, nitrites and nitrates? Being that the fish tank is fairly new is it cycled?

Aquatilium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello all, i am new to this site and just would like to ask few questions since it seems like there is alot of people on this forum that know alot of info that i might not know. So i recentally set up my 75 gallon for frontosas, yes i know this is a small tank for them but im simply using it as a grow out so i can put them in a 135 that i have not in use. the substrate i use is argonite cichlid sand and have holy rock and big river rocks as well. for filtration i have 2 emporor 400's running. I have the temp set at approx 79 degrees. I purchased my first 3 juvenile fronts and within 3 days 2 of them died. I took my water to the LFS near by and they said everything checked out fine. So just yesterday i purchased 4 more and i woke up today with 1 dead. I simply do not know what going on I feed a mix of brine shrimp blood worms and some flakes. They eat it and spit everything out. im just frusstrated and do not know what to do but i really want to keep these fish any thoughts on what is happening? i just dropped the temp to 74 75 degrees after reading a few threads. please help.
Hello, sorry to hear of your losses. Couple questions. How long has this tank been running? I noticed you said "Recently". Was there any fish in the tank prior to adding your Frontosa?

FrontosaA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
michigan
Hello, sorry to hear of your losses. Couple questions. How long has this tank been running? I noticed you said "Recently". Was there any fish in the tank prior to adding your Frontosa?
It was running for bout a week week and a half and has 2 firecracker morriis and a calvus. Both of them are doing just fine, both showing beautiful colors and eating well.

Aquatilium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
It was running for bout a week week and a half and has 2 firecracker morriis and a calvus. Both of them are doing just fine, both showing beautiful colors and eating well.
Juveniles are delicate to an uncyled tank. I suspect Nitrites however, in this case you state that the Tropheus Moori are doing fine and normally they are the most delicate of the fish you are keeping. Where you mention that the Fronts eat and spit out their food leads me to believe that they have some internal parasite. Did you purchase all your fronts from the same source? The internal parasite issue can be treated in some cases depending on how long they have had them. In many cases the fish will slowly waste away. Is their bellies sunken?

FrontosaA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
michigan
Juveniles are delicate to an uncyled tank. I suspect Nitrites however, in this case you state that the Tropheus Moori are doing fine and normally they are the most delicate of the fish you are keeping. Where you mention that the Fronts eat and spit out their food leads me to believe that they have some internal parasite. Did you purchase all your fronts from the same source? The internal parasite issue can be treated in some cases depending on how long they have had them. In many cases the fish will slowly waste away. Is their bellies sunken?
Actually I was looking at their bellies also but they seem nice and full. The first 3 I purchased were from the same place then 2 died and then I purchased 4 more from a different lfs and one of those died. I dropped the temp and I honestly think that was the problem , I see more color in them already. But could that have been the reason?

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Given the size of the Fronts could it be aggression, also if there are Tropheus in the tank you shouldn't feed brine shrimp or blood worms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store