Need Advice Regarding Marbled Goby

Murrayjane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
West Los Angeles
Saw a Marbled Goby at a LFS and was wondering if anyone has any experience keeping them.

I have a 135 Gallon growout tank for it. The Goby would be housed with Large Aggressive American Cichlids, a Climbing Perch Fish, and 3 Bichirs.

Does anyone know whether they can spend their entire lives in freshwater? I have been previously informed that they can, but would like further verification.

Also, would fully grown Sengal, Delhezi, and Endlichiri Bichirs be able to co exist with the Goby in the long run?

Finally, as they are fairly rare to find over here, what is a fair price to pay for one?

Thanks in advance all!

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
The Marbled Sleeper Goby can survive in freshwater for its life, it can grow to about 2 feet long and take feeder fish or dead food. I think that large aggressive American Cichlids will be a bad idea, the goby might be attacked and bullied. We can get those in markets easily in Hong Kong. Whats the size of your new tank after your grow out? I think the Senegal will be eaten by your Endli. Your Delhezi would also be eaten. I think a climbing perch is a bit small because they usually get to about 8 inches long only. I think you could add different species of goby together, for example, I think a Watercow Goby would work. You may also add a arowana, maybe a silver. A Jardini would kill all your fish. Maybe even your American Cichlids you are thinking about adding. In Hong Kong, Marbled Sleepers are very cheap fish and are eaten, but I would still want one of them because they look quite cool. In our markets, they are probably only HK$40 a pound. Convert that into your currency and you have about 5 dollars for a one pounder. But since they are quite rare in your area, they may be more expensive.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Id say his sen and del would be in more danger from the goby then the endli, they do get 10 inch and plenty of guys on here have endlis w/ sens and dels w/o issues

Make sure your lid is weighted down, those large gobys are powerful jumpers, someone on here had a water cow goby shatter his glass top and all his fish ate glass..

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store