Polyester pillow case works for ultrafine filter bag- bleach concern?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
This might be old news to some but I had to figure this out myself... I bought 1.5 gallons of Purigen but couldn't find a decently priced 100micron filter bag that big. Turns out a 100% polyester pillow case works great! I can't say for certain what it equates to in microns, but no purigen got through during the pre-rinse.

I also noted that the washing instructions warned about using bleach.. I have no idea what this concern is about. Since you're supposed to use a strong bleach solution for recharging I was initially concerned. So I cut off a piece I wasn't using and soaked it in bleach for a 2 weeks. It doesn't seem to deteriorate or discolor.. so I don't know what this bleach warning is all about.

Does someone know what the deal is with polyester and bleach?

So far its been a great cheap alternative for a large fine filter bag.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Ah, had to dip into my available laundry expert, the old lady. The bleach concern would be fiber damage, but based on my test, its minimal. Considering it would only be exposed to a diluted bleach solution for 2 days a year and I didn't see any damage after a 2 week soak in pure bleach. Pulling hard on the test patch it still felt like new.

Unless there are different grades of polyester fiber.. but this was a cheap 7 dollar pillow case. She said based on my test that I probably don't have to worry.

Joy!

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
what about the seams and bleach?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
My family owns several dry cleaners and laundry mats, there is no harm to be done with a light soaking in a bleach solution for your use.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Scourge, good thought, I had seam concern too but the label does say 100% polyester, so the seam should be as well. I might just do another bleach soak test on a piece of seam to be sure though.

Thanks Dan for the professional confirmation.. just what I wanted to hear!

WilliamBanks

Feeder Fish
May 29, 2014
Kent, Maidstone, UK
Synthetic fabrics don't take well to bleach. Most times they wont effect the color but rather make the fabric brittle and may burn holes into it. Depending on how much is discolored and how visible it is

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Synthetic fabrics don't take well to bleach. Most times they wont effect the color but rather make the fabric brittle and may burn holes into it. Depending on how much is discolored and how visible it is
I was concerned too.. but most aquarium filters are 100% polyester. I can't see a 100% polyester pillow case being much different that a 100% polyester filter sock. Still, being concerned because of washing labels that said not to use bleach, I soaked a piece for a couple weeks in pure bleach and then stress tested it for any degradation and it was fine.

And just another FYI that I found out and posted in other threads... its about impossible to thoroughly rinse these fine closed up filter bags since they're so fine as the water just rolls right off. I found that letting them dry out makes a huge difference as all the crap trapped in the material just turns to dust then and will fall and rinse right out then.

Previously I was toying with the idea of sewing on a hose fitting to the bag so that it could be pressurized and flushed out from the inside without having media loss but I think just letting it dry works better.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I was concerned too.. but most aquarium filters are 100% polyester. I can't see a 100% polyester pillow case being much different that a 100% polyester filter sock. Still, being concerned because of washing labels that said not to use bleach, I soaked a piece for a couple weeks in pure bleach and then stress tested it for any degradation and it was fine.

And just another FYI that I found out and posted in other threads... its about impossible to thoroughly rinse these fine closed up filter bags since they're so fine as the water just rolls right off. I found that letting them dry out makes a huge difference as all the crap trapped in the material just turns to dust then and will fall and rinse right out then.

Previously I was toying with the idea of sewing on a hose fitting to the bag so that it could be pressurized and flushed out from the inside without having media loss but I think just letting it dry works better.
Purigen can lose some effectiveness if it is allowed to dry out completely.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store