Need Help

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
I have had a 20gallon long tank set up for awhile now and I haut got a API Freshwater master test kit today. And I have no fish in the tank as of now. I had the one that was in it die off last night. But is my tank in the middle of the cycle still? Test results shown are (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) if so will my Ammonia start to drop then when I gets lower I will start to see Nitrites and Nitrates? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
As a tank cycles you will see the ammonia rise once it starts to drop off the nitrite will start to rise as the ammonia is being consumed. Once the nitrite starts to drop the nitrates will begin to rise. Nitrate is the end product of the cycle. Nitrates are remove via water changes. Typically you want to keep nitrates as low as possible, below 20 ppm and idealy below 10 ppm. Water changes substrate vacuming and filter maintance will help you achive this. A compleatly cycled tank would show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and only show a nitrate reading which as stated before should be kept as low as possible.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I'd leave it be and let it process. Then pick up some ammonia if you don't already have some and finish the cycle.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
^ or pee in it, or throw in some food everyday, or leave a shrimp in there, many options.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There is really no need for anyone to pee in their tank. If you were to use ammonia you have to be carful to only use non-sudsy, non-scented ammonia and only add a couple of drops. Since you already had a fish in there the cycle has begun so the addition of ammonia isn't necessary. Get some Seachem Stability, add 2 capfulls to the tank on the first day and then add 1 capfull every day for the next 7 days. Test the water every day and watch the numbers. After about 4 days do a 25% water change, the water should be ok to add one small fish (acclamated slowly). Don't add more than that, if you overload the bio-capacity of the filter the tank will go into another cycle, test the water and watch the numbers. After a week do another 25% water change, the water should be ok to slowly start adding fish. Another easyway to cycle a tank is to add some filter media from an established filter from another tank. However if that is not an option for you do as I suggested using the Stability. Once the cycle has completed test your water weekly befor your water change and see where your nitrates are, this will tell you how often and how much water you will need to change to maintane the nitrates below 20 ppm and idealy below 10ppm. It is also a good idea to test your tap water to give you a base line so you know what you are putting into the tank. Two small water changes (25%) a week will be better than one lagre water change initally. If I left anything out or you have any questions please ask. HTH.

One other thing, please keep in mine some fish are more suseptable to even the slightest traces of ammonia & nitrite. Please indacate what you plan on keeping so you can be advised accordingly. Above is a basic instruction and might need to be adjusted depending on the species involved. IT IS A GOOD IDEA to get the water perameters any new acuasition has been kept in so you can acclamate accordingly, this will also minumize potential losses.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
You'll be Ok with them.

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
Sorry for late reply. Ammonia is still high I am going to get so me seachem tomorrow I think and do as you stated I hope this gets resolved from that so I can have this tank up and running I have it scaped very nice and can't wait to have some fish in it. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store