Got no interest in dedicated section sooooo.....

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
I posted this in the gar section, everyone looked at it but hasn't replied lol...so hopefully more people will view this :)

Looking into getting a spotted gar, they are around 5"...

My questions are:

What are they like with tank mates? (6" silver arow, big Severum, clown loaches and some dither tinfoils)
Are they easy to get food to / picky feeders?
What's growth rate in comparison to my silver?
Are they aggressive? Active? Fun to watch? What are your opinions on these fish?

Would rather do my home work before I buy, so any info will be a great help.

Thanks in advance

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
At that size, he would be killed by your current stock, so it really doesn't make sense to spend lots of time on your other questions.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Sooo if I put him in a grow out tank, how would they all fair in the long run with them then? Plus feeding questions...thanks

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Well the store is shut so can't get pics /: and got a 120g for now and the other halfs uncle is donating me his 6.5x2x2 in 2 months time when he moves yayyy :)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My florida gar ignores everything including my tinfoils. he kinda just floats around, lounges on the ground, they aren`t particularly active fish but they are very cool! I have never had one any smaller than about 9" though

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Thanks raf, it's mainly if him and my arowana will get on tbh

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I don't think will have a problem with the arow what do you feed him? I found that when I bought gars that small all I could get him to eat so if you can get it to eat krill young that would be great other wise feed him Guppys for now till you get him eating regularly. Good luck Noel

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
I don't think will have a problem with the arow what do you feed him? I found that when I bought gars that small all I could get him to eat so if you can get it to eat krill young that would be great other wise feed him Guppys for now till you get him eating regularly. Good luck Noel
Thanks noël, my arow is on shrimp, bloodworm and the occasional pellet...unfortunately it's illegal in the uk to buy fish soaly to be feeders, so I don't can't and won't, so shrimp and bloodworm will have to do :)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Thete have been a few tailless arowana running around as a result of this mix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store