To change or NOT? Your opinion!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Basically some of you know my attempt @ planteds This being my first one:

Didn't turn out to bad, at first I had a lot of things going on in the tank and didn't have a theme in mind. Now its progressed to more delicate and difficult med/high light plants, which I can balance fine. I have the whole c02/light/fertz/husbandry down + a lot of you helped and I gathered a lot of research here. Tank is almost 5-6 months old?

My lighting consist of 2x 65 Watt 4 pin CFL lighting designed to be an outdoor floodlight: extremely and ridiculously bright but what's needed to grow med/high light plants!

To my POINT!
My Striolatus Piranha is the main inhabitant in the tank w/ an array of what you call "planted tank helpers," such as SAE'S, ottos, shrimp etc, but Striolatus Piranhas (among MANY piranha) have a big ass eye ball to body ratio, making this bright light tank stressful for him. I can imagine the equivalent of a person in Arizona summer Sun with no sunglasses! Plus i can tell it stresses him, he hides more especially under thick foliage and just chills there:

but he will still come out for food when he sees me or to chase some guppies so by no means is his health suffering! He has really grown up to be a beauty so I wanted a good tank for him but I want him to be less stressed.!

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN:
I had an idea today where I turned one of the 65watt fixtures off and he can out and swam on the dimmer side which obviously makes sense when he likes little to no light, but I don't want to compromise all the plants. Here's a pic:

I was thinking of using the left light instead of right for plant growth, that's already where the lace leaf, nesea are but this also means the Java fern needs to be moved over. lights would opposite as they are in pic.

So if you think this is a good idea let me know and suggestions on plant placement or anything else would be great! I can also replace the high output fixture with a small cfl on the dim side to keep the low lights in balance.

Just need a practical and clean looking scape even if I have to rip all that wisteria out! You may make him happy! Thanks

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You need to join a dedicated planted tank forum. You'll get a lot more out of it on this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I belong APC but I've never posted, I just read.... rather gather advice from people with predators and planted tanks.

I know this tank has potential as it stands but I don't see many half lit planted tanks out there with a Striolatus, which is why I'm asking for advice!

It's a low/high tech tank in one if I do it right, which gives him comfort from the lights.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Hrm, I mean, I guess you could have the one side dedicated to just more demanding plants, and then the other side being dimmer and less bright so that the fish could be more comfortable. You're doing some form of co2 right? As long as all you changed was the lighting you should be fine.

Lace plants, tbh, aren't even needing the most intense of light, so if that's the concern plant you'll be fine. Wisteria as well, works in lower lighting. Java fern and crypt can both be grown in super dim lighting as well.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Hrm, I mean, I guess you could have the one side dedicated to just more demanding plants, and then the other side being dimmer and less bright so that the fish could be more comfortable. You're doing some form of co2 right? As long as all you changed was the lighting you should be fine.

Lace plants, tbh, aren't even needing the most intense of light, so if that's the concern plant you'll be fine. Wisteria as well, works in lower lighting. Java fern and crypt can both be grown in super dim lighting as well.
Yes 5lbs bottle w/ rex grigg inline diffuser on canister

About to do a wc so w/e happens is about to happen. Think wisteria is gone and who knows what else.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
BAEB2B ratio... Very funny!

When you turned off the lights on part of the tank, did he swim over to the dark side?

You've mentioned concerns about him in the past as well, like gasping and other signs of stress. I think the key is to find a balance for your fish and plants. I'm curious to see how this plays out.. You've come up with some very creative ways to improve your setup in the past and I'm sure you'll find one for this too! You could also consider LEDs with a dimmer and increments of different light levels. While I agree pt forums, especially plantedtank.net will provide great info on your plants, lighting and setup, I don't think you'll get info specific to the needs of your BAEB2B ratio fish. You already know the lights are stressing him out based on his behavior, increased hiding, etc. Who knows maybe half lit tanks will be a new trend!

Good luck, looking forward to reading about your results!
Laurie

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
*DRASTICALLY I ended up changing......! although with the amount of plants, I couldn't have 1 side dark with a 3'L tank!

A 13watt 6500cfl is the light on the right and the normal 65watt 4 pin cfl is on the left.

Before
AFTER:

Left side

So far so good! Bubble count lowered to +/-2bps ~20PPM o2 (8 HR running) With all that wisteria I pulled I will now be dosing 2/3-3/4 a 40b (dry fertz diluted into water) to make up for the loss of the biggest plant mass that was in my tank and test for a month or so until I can get the levels (N-P-K+MICRO) to be ideal and consistent!

My favorite part of course is how the scape is less cluttered and MOST of ALL my precious, rare and thriving Striolatus Piranha is instantly more comfortable, we shall keep close tabs on the killer but for now 'mission accomplished!'

Even with a new BABY!

So blessed to have this absolutely adorable and accepting family! Everyone be thankful for who or what they have! You just never know :/

Please get better Schumacher! We love and miss you :)

Thanks again for LS, Hybrid, Tom, Harley and all my Piranha bros!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Nice on the fish and the moving of plants. You have test kits for NPK and micros? Cause if so, I'm super jealous lol
Also, OMG THAT PUPPY IS ADORABLE WHAT IS HE/SHE DAWWWWWWW
I'm done now :p
Haha thanks!

Just nitrates/phosphorus and I can test my co2 via drop checker or testing ph, other then that I have an API fw master test kit. As for micros nope.... but my water quality report shows avg and high levels so I have an idea!

And thanks she's is adorable, shepherd/boxer mix.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store