Insects living on top of my water?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
yeah I had those on one of my tanks, they crawl along the glass too and seem to hop off the waters surface. I took pics and everything and put it up here and people told me it was Planaria.

theyre harmless organisms that can be killed off by fish that will pick them off. I just threw in a bunch of feeder comets and they were gone in a few days

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Has anyone else ever had these insects that hop around on top of the aquarium water? They've been there forever and never leave. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
My 125g has had them for a few years... they're on the glass just above the water line but when I do water changes and the surface of the water is more calm, I can see them skimming on top of the water also. Never had any issues so I've never bothered trying to get rid of them.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
yeah I had those on one of my tanks, they crawl along the glass too and seem to hop off the waters surface. I took pics and everything and put it up here and people told me it was Planaria.

theyre harmless organisms that can be killed off by fish that will pick them off. I just threw in a bunch of feeder comets and they were gone in a few days
Great at least they aren't a threat. Good to finally know! Thank you rafini!

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
My 125g has had them for a few years... they're on the glass just above the water line but when I do water changes and the surface of the water is more calm, I can see them skimming on top of the water also. Never had any issues so I've never bothered trying to get rid of them.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah I've had the same exact experience and reaction as you.
Does anyone know how they get to your aquarium?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Like I said, fish eat them, get feeder minnows or comets and they will be gone in a few days. I grew some big fat feeders in the tank I was talking about ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store