Hey 40 Gallon Breeder Tank Mandarins and Scooters?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to ask you opinions on having a 40 gallon breeder tank specifically for mandarins and scooter blennies and other fish that are hard to get off live.
Im going to be tearing down my 40 gallon freshwater tank since the 210 gallon freshwater will have to wait because we have to enclosed the patio to make it an all season room since thats where the folks want the 210 and the fish I have growing in the 40 will encounter health problems with size if kept in there any longer.

So basically I have a 40 gallon breeder. I have an fx5 on it right now but do you think I should continue using it or maybe I can get away with sponge filters and siphoning of debri during water changes? I was thinking of removing the fx5 because I will most likely have to feed live brine shrimp from the hatchery I will get started and with the fx5 Im pretty sure all of the hatchling shrimp will be sucked up.

Also how many scooters and mandarins do you think can thrive in this tank?

Also I have experience with saltwater for when I had a reef tank with my 72 gallon Bowfront.

Thanks A Million

Hopefully that was kinda of easy to understand

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't think any will thrive unless you have a ton of copepods. A fx5 would be a bad idea for a mandarin since they need to constantly feed on copepods. You'll need an extremely well established tank with a refugium and tons of live rock to even stand a chance

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks for the info, most likely I wouldn't be doing these fish any more even as I look for other species of saltwater fish to have. For now I will just be looking on ways to create optimal mechanical filtration. Bio filtration will be taking cared off, just thinking if I can just fill an aqua clear 110 with the sponges it comes with and that will be it for mechanical filtration...?

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Should be more than enough for a 40 gallon. Just have to remember to clean it out all the time so you don't have a nitrate factory

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks I just got my AC 70 decided on a 70 instead especially since they were on sale. Just cleaned out a couple 2 liter bottles to use for the diy moving bed filter with in the tank. I currently still have the freshwater tank and awaiting the sale of these fish which should be pick dup in a week. I plan on jump starting the cycle using the advantage of my cousins 3 year old salt water set up. What would be the best way to seed the new tank with BB? Im thinking of using mini plastic coke bottles and put k2 in there and have them run on my cousin's tank for a week or two... take out the media and place it with all the other k2 that would be sitting in my tank. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing! Also after retrieving the media from my cousin what should I do? I assume just continue using ammonia drops till the water hits best water parameters or since using cycled media I could right away start with one fish...than continue?

Trying to avoid making a new thread lol

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
I've never heard of using k1 in a salt tank so I can't give you advice on that. Best way to seed a tank is live rock and live sand from your cousins tank

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store