Small planted tank

Kellanved

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
Seattle
Got to start a new planned tank about Christmas time. Thought I would post and see what advice comes out of it. Especially governing that pesky algae I'm battling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1390254678206.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390254735916.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390254775806.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390254825197.jpg

Kellanved

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
Seattle
I hope the progression of images helps. I will try to keep things updated.

Kellanved

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
Seattle
I suppose it would also help to know the tank has a volume of approximately fifteen gallons. The substrate is fluorite. ADA led light. Eheim 2211 filter. Receiving a daily dose of flourish excel. Plants are nymphaea rubra, rotala macrandra micro, dwarf baby tears, Japanese pennywort, a pair of anubias and a cryptochorine. Fish are a pair of apistogramma agassizi who have already laid eggs, 5 otitis, and 12 neons.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
You need more nutrients and if that LED is giving you high light, you need to either lower it or get co2 injection going in here. Dwarf Baby Tears (HC) needs co2 to carpet well and very high light, just an fyi. And dosing flourish isn't going to be enough to keep plants healthy and algae at bay.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Good start, once that algea is under control it will be a beautiful setup and I love the apisto! I have heard people complain about the ada led making plants reach, which looks like whats happening with the HC

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You need more nutrients and if that LED is giving you high light, you need to either lower it or get co2 injection going in here. Dwarf Baby Tears (HC) needs co2 to carpet well and very high light, just an fyi. And dosing flourish isn't going to be enough to keep plants healthy and algae at bay.
+1

High/med light w/ no co2 equals algae in most cases. You can buy a 5/10lbs co2 bottle(will last a year or 2 before refill)at a welding supply store or a home brew store and pick up a dual stage regulator. Then you can order a good bubble counter and needle valve, and obviously you need a diffuser to dissolve the co2 into the water but they aren't very efficient, they only look cool so I'd advise looking up a DIY Rexx Grigg reactor which hooks up inline with a canister, sump/wetdry but I guess with a tank that small you can use a ceramic glass diffuser and with good flow you should be fine, a circulator works good.

After its all setup you need to spend a couple days tweaking it to get the bubble count perfect and make sure its consistent! Also I recommend a solenoid valve so you don't have to turn the co2 on and off every day, plug the valve into a timer so it turns on 30-60min before lights click on and same when they turn off. Exceeding 3bps can kill your fish but a diffuser is less efficient so your bubbles per second depends on if you use a reactor or diffuser, buy a co2 test kit or drop checker to make sure levels are acceptable. I run 1.5-2bps w/ a reactor and fish are fine, plants are thriving.

Here's a good sticky on it:http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341879

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store