Piranha fry tank w/c question...

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
As some of you may know i have a 10gallon fry tank with about 200 red belly piranhas in it. they are about 3weeks old.

As I've read i have been doing bi-daily water changes using water from the mother tank. my question is when can i start doing water changes using brand new freshwater out of the tap instead of out of my mother tank?

thanks a lot for all the help! i ask a lot but i wouldn't have made it this far without your help haha!

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I would say you should be ok as long as you match temp and condition the water. I would also use a tiny pump and pump it slow. Start with 10-20% this is what I do with angelfish fry. Post pics of the fry

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
Well i took out about 25% and currently slow syphoning brand new water treated with aquasafe in. Haven't had any croak yet so i guess that's a good sign.

Tried to get a few pics..they move too much haha heres what i got.
uploadfromtaptalk1390314946291.jpg
Some like to hang out by the thermometer all day haha
uploadfromtaptalk1390314961452.jpg
Again..
uploadfromtaptalk1390314987685.jpg
And here's my little set up...a bunch hide In the little plants so you cant see em.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
With a ten gallon tank just use a 5gal bucket to do wc. Get a infared thermometer from radioshack or online for 15-25$ and match the temp @ the faucet, add dechlor to the bucket and fill it up. When my 10gal was set up I would just place the bucket on the rim and a small hose would siphon water from bucket into the tank via gravity!

BTW dechlor 2-5gals of water is a tiny amount, if I were you I'd make shift a tap filter by using a plastic container and adding carbon in a media bag or buy the fluval pouches and drill small holes in the bottom. When you fill up bucket put the DIY filter under the faucet, then take a q tip and dab it in the bottle of dechlor, then when the bucket has enough water mix it around and bam: fresh healthy water.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
With a ten gallon tank just use a 5gal bucket to do wc. match the temp @ the faucet, add dechlor to the bucket and fill it up. When my 10gal was set up I would just place the bucket on the rim and a small hose would siphon water from bucket into the tank via gravity!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

I'm way new to raising fry. have a lot to learn.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
As some of you may know i have a 10gallon fry tank with about 200 red belly piranhas in it. they are about 3weeks old.

As I've read i have been doing bi-daily water changes using water from the mother tank. my question is when can i start doing water changes using brand new freshwater out of the tap instead of out of my mother tank?

thanks a lot for all the help! i ask a lot but i wouldn't have made it this far without your help haha!
I would do water changes from tap now............WHen raising fry, I do 50% water changes evrday for the first two weeks...............

Christop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Minneapolis MN
One trick can be to use a garbage bag/large fish bag, put your dechlor into bag and fill the bag inside the aquarium with tap water of very close temp. Add 1/2-1gal every 10-30mins (depending on how fast you wanna do it ;)). I get spooked with some city water supplies with raising fry, one week the city puts extra chlorine/chlorimine in water and you lose a batch of fry...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store