Stingray Curious...

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Hello, folks. I am, at the end of the day, a cichlid guy. New World, specifically. But I have to admit... I have always been intrigued by freshwater rays. I've mainly stayed away, due to my belief I simply do not have a big enough tank to keep any of them for life. I have looked around on the internet, this forum and others, and wow... talk about conflicting info. Even in some stickies! So... I hope everyone can be tolerant if I ask a question that probably has been asked million times on this site. I just decided it be nice to post the question, and have an easy spot for me to track the latest opinions. I'm not on the verge of purchasing any rays or anything like that... this is just a very preliminary couple questions, designed to let me know if I should even bother thinking about them any further at all. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. Now... on to the questions:

1. Is there any freshwater ray suitable for a beginning ray keeper, and also suitable for a 6 ft. 150 gallon, or 7 ft. 210 gallon tank?

2. If so, what kind of tankmates are suitable?

I may have more questions, pending the answers to these two. But the first test is the answer to these two questions. Thanks again, all!

-Rich

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Hystrix is the best choice for both ease of keeping and size requirements. Males will top out at 12 inches and probably smaller (get a male) if you get to 24 inches wide thats the best way but a standard 150 will work.

Second option would be aparicio also small and easy.

I would stay away from retics or red retics (the smallest by far Ive seen males fully rolled at 6 inches) they are just much tougher to keep....

As far as tankmates.... you will get a million opinions.... it really depends on your taste tolerance of losing fish and ability to move stuff if it doesnt work . the "right" answers will be bigger stuff (ray cant eat) with out an attitude ie Silver dollars, Bigger Geos, Uarus, Severums et al.... personally I have not seen many fish mess with rays. I personally have kept a Marble motoro for over a year with a festae and psittacus with no problems whatsoever.

The best thing i will say is buy a captive well started pup or long term captive and enjoy! you will never not want to have one.

TropicalCreations

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2014
Columbus, OH
Hey Rich!!! This is Chris from CCA, rainforestexp, go with a hystrix!! They would be perfect. Tank mates will vary on aggression level. my maintenance account has a 24" arrowana, mayan cichlid, salvini, syspilium, jack dempsey, 12" pleco, and a parrot fish and all get along very well with the 12" marble motoro. Hit me up if you want a ray. Also still want green or blue phantom plecos? I'll be in DC in two weeks

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Hey Rich!!! This is Chris from CCA, rainforestexp, go with a hystrix!! They would be perfect. Hit me up if you want one. Also still want green or blue phantom plecos? I'll be in DC in two weeks

youre a vendor? you are bringing in True hystrix?

TropicalCreations

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2014
Columbus, OH
Not a vendor, just an aquarium maintenance guy and saw them on the wholesale list. From the pictures I saw and word of the wholesaler I would say they look like true ones but not 100% sure til I see it in person.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Not a vendor, just an aquarium maintenance guy and saw them on the wholesale list. From the pictures I saw and word of the wholesaler I would say they look like true ones but not 100% sure til I see it in person.
Probably not as they have been hard to come by... if they are on the segrest list they are not true.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Thanks, guys... I appreciate the info! Getting excited!

I am going to look into the cost of trying a hystrix. I will be careful to get a true hystrix, if I can afford it. chris, I pm'd you. Thanks for your info... I will do some more homework on rays in general, and motoros as well. I have read some info suggesting to not do those? What is your take on that ray for life in a 150? Other opinions? Thanks.

-Rich

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Thanks, guys... I appreciate the info! Getting excited!

I am going to look into the cost of trying a hystrix. I will be careful to get a true hystrix, if I can afford it. chris, I pm'd you. Thanks for your info... I will do some more homework on rays in general, and motoros as well. I have read some info suggesting to not do those? What is your take on that ray for life in a 150? Other opinions? Thanks.

-Rich

Motoro will get to big... you are talking 22 to 24 inch male for life... There are some who believe there are mini populations of marble motoro but unless you are buying from one of the breeders on here don't do it..

Hystrix are not to expensive, there is a pup listed in NYC right now for 200, just tough to come by right now because they come out of brazil.. Do not get a false or Peru Hystrix they will get BIG. Freshly imported rays can be tricky to feed worm and stabilize, saving a few bucks with no previous experience is not a good idea.

If you like the look of motoros look for an aparicio, rapps imported them last year so there are some running around and with diligence you can find one.

GL

take your time get the ray from a breeder on here or a reputable Ray Vendor (aquascape,rapps,discus origins to name a few)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store