How to Become a Zoologist or Herpetologist

BronxZooFrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
USA
bitly.com
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquarium, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Providing career advice is one of the most rewarding aspects of my work. There are many resources available to aspiring zoologists and herpetologists, but deciding the best path to take can be a confusing process. Today I’d like to provide some guidelines drawn from my experiences and those of my readers and colleagues on how to become a zoologist. And as you’ll see from the face of the little fellow in the photo below, it’s great fun to get started early![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Much of the following information is based on my work in zoos and museums, and the journals mentioned are oriented towards herpetology. However, the basic principles apply to any discipline within the field of zoology. I can also help, or refer you to others who can help, with related fields, such as ornithology, arachnology, etc. Please post any questions you might have below.

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

Jmart159

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Tampa, Florida
I'm currently looking at going back to school for a second round and being that working for a zoo and/or aquarium is my goal, this was quite helpful. Thank you.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I actually just switched my major from zoology to kinesiology. I took all the pre-req's but once I took the zoology class, it was so intense and in depth that I was starting to lose interest in my animals and I didn't want that to happen so I switched. Always I think in the back if my mind whether I should suck it up and go through the hard **** so I can start taking the fun classes. Maybe I'll just double major haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BronxZooFrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
USA
bitly.com
I actually just switched my major from zoology to kinesiology. I took all the pre-req's but once I took the zoology class, it was so intense and in depth that I was starting to lose interest in my animals and I didn't want that to happen so I switched. Always I think in the back if my mind whether I should suck it up and go through the hard **** so I can start taking the fun classes. Maybe I'll just double major haha

I understand....no way around it, unfortunately, and you really do take more interesting classes in time...more importantly, your options will be increased 10 fold once you begin working...zookeeping etc is fun, but it's a hard road to go; with an advanced degree you get to do the fun stuff....let me know if you need anything,. frank

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I understand....no way around it, unfortunately, and you really do take more interesting classes in time...more importantly, your options will be increased 10 fold once you begin working...zookeeping etc is fun, but it's a hard road to go; with an advanced degree you get to do the fun stuff....let me know if you need anything,. frank
Definitely will! I haven't had a chance to read your write ups yet but I definitely am going to cuz its always in the back of my mind whether I should continue on with it.

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
Thank you Sir, for posting this.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I am currently a high schooler debating whether it not to go into zoology or the medical field, but I feel that if I do zoology as a job at that high of a level ill lose interest in animals like awesome said... Also I heard that the money you make isn't the best. Thanks for everything.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Zookeeper ≠ Zoologist. Very few zoos are doing research any more and the ones that are usually hire personnel with higher degrees to do so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store