Water Filtration turn over- who is running the least?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I'm in the process this year of adding more tank volume and sump volume. I figure while i am at it i might as well look at my pumps and how long i have had them and what might be more energy efficient with all the new products on the market.

While doing all this research and talking to many people I have been wondering about actual filtration turn over and using wave makers and other circulation pumps as options to increase the actual tank turn over.

I know some who run 1.5-2 times turn over on their systems.

My brain says actual filtration turn over would trump less turn over with a wave maker but... also the main point of circulation pumps or wave makers is that they move the water in the tank giving everything a better chance of passing into the overflow and thus making it more efficient and possible for all the crud to reach the filters. And in most cases a circulation pump setup or a wave maker will use far less watts and you can place it where you need it exactly thus move allot of water to double or triple your overall flow in the tank.

I got a couple low watt pumps coming Monday and am exited to see what they will do. Stated as 85 watts 3170 gph.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
On tanks turnover is 11 the other is 6 another is 4. The 4 is a slightly planted tank. All also have sponge filters. The 11 has a strong internal so it's like a power head inside and that tank seems to be my least clear tank :(

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think 2-4 is enough but can take longer to clear when they take a dump, filter volume is the key in my opinion. You can pep up the aeration using simple and cheap to run circulation pumps.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Yep. Decided to give them a chance. If they last a couple years and really use what wattage they say should be a good saving in power with an overall gain in water flow. Even after initial purchase cost. So far having 2 jebao wave makers myself and a friend with one and another guy I know with one of these jebao dc12000s they all are very impressive pumps. So I'm jumping further onto the band Wagon to give them a shot.

Are you expecting the jebao 12000 dc pumps?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
These things keep getting brought up, and I'm wondering if I've missed something here, are these supposed to be better then Korilias?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
You should look the wave maker videos up online. But seeing one in person really is amazing. People are selling off the super expensive ecos for these. Now yes they take up a little more space in a tank but so far they are as quiet or better and push a ton of flow with allot of variables to adjust it. One in my 400 has really kept the water moving well and I can cause waves in the tank if desired and it's the medium pump not the strongest. It's not just the actual pulse of water but the under tow they create and pull water from all 360 degrees as well so really move all the water really well. The dc 12000 is a 12000 liter dc pump that you can adjust the flow using the provided controller. Fully submersible with allot of flow in a small size and low wattsge. I hope my experience goes good with them and I can recommend them to others as a good option using low wattage overall saving money.

Here was a thread I started after reading a good bit and doing allot of research on them.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ge-pumps-amp-Wave-makers-look&highlight=jebao

These things keep getting brought up, and I'm wondering if I've missed something here, are these supposed to be better then Korilias?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Looking quickly at the wave makers it looks like the MP 40 uses twice the wattage of the comparable Korilia to move a tab bit more water?

Or is all the magic in the fact they "make waves"????

And the pumps are DC???? Would take some work to sell me on the idea of converting AC to DC to run a pump more efficiently then one designed for AC.

Not saying they aren't all that, just saying a quick glance at specs leaves a guy wondering why they seem so good on paper?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Well I have been getting into the reef side of things allot more recently and finding allot of interesting equipment that they are using allot. Controllable units have a huge advantage when feeding and adjusting flow for reactors, skimmers and all sorts of stuff.

Well talking about the wavemakers I have a couple of the korilias and others and they are lacking a ton in comparison to moving water in the whole tank, they just seem to make a jet and not cause much other movement, maybe its the wave feature or what but one of these jebao pumps blew away my korilias.

And for the pumps these are not the only ones that are DC powered pumps they have been around for a long while and are purpose built.

Here is a list of a few makers, most all used just in the reef world, but water is water.

Diablo DC DC pumps
Wave Line DC pumps
Reef Angel DC pumps
Speed Line DC pumps
Royal Exclusiv DC pumps
Boyu DC pumps

For those that are not aware of the terms-
Direct Current “DC” water pumps are the latest in variable speed flow technology and allows for refined control, enhanced performance and efficiency. The vast majority of circulation pumps available to hobbyist are alternating current "AC" pumps (the type of power that comes out of your wall outlet).

Looking quickly at the wave makers it looks like the MP 40 uses twice the wattage of the comparable Korilia to move a tab bit more water?

Or is all the magic in the fact they "make waves"????

And the pumps are DC???? Would take some work to sell me on the idea of converting AC to DC to run a pump more efficiently then one designed for AC.

Not saying they aren't all that, just saying a quick glance at specs leaves a guy wondering why they seem so good on paper?

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
1200gallon tank, turnover 3x/h on main filter(powerbead85). Designed for heavy stocked 15000 liter koi pond. Bin tested with 1 kg feeding each day(by a koi owner i know). Works like a charm!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store