Frozen prawn and Thiaminase

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Some of you will know that I recently got my NGT to convert from. earthworms to frozen prawn. He's feeding well now and starting to fatten up nicely.
My concern is the bad press I hear about frozen prawns and thiaminase levels causing premature death via vitamin deficiency. I know it's well documented in the Polypterus forum here.
I do see that lots of Tiger keepers on here have fish that only feed on frozen prawn. I want to know if people feel this is safe long-term?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think their growth is even slower if they are fed mostly shrimp and prawn but they sure love them lol..I have one particularly stubborn dat that only eats it so I stuff the shrimp with pellets.Once my current supply runs out I will begin training him onto tilapia and hopefully eventually pellets on their own.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I've been putting some food sticks in the prawn but if I overdo it he turns his nose up to them. My next move I think too will be to try to convert to tilapia.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah mine will even spit out the pellets sometimes so I will dampen them while inside of the prawn so they soften and not as easily detected.Its a bit of a pain in the ass but it's for the good of the fish so it's worth it.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
My ST stops feeding for a month when he starts feeding he normally only takes prawn and smelt/lance fish for 2 months then goes back to pellet

NGT seam to love blood worm as well

Floating pellets are not that good you need to soak massivore in the earth worm blood over night

Feed him on the prawn for 2 months the do the massivore in the worm blood he may think his fav food is back

Me and Ade have both lost tigers that only fed on prawn

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Supplement the prawn with vitamens...such as vita-chem. I soak my prepared shrimp in this product for about 30min before feeding. The fish will get used to the smell/taste of the vits and can help u get him to take other frozen foods like tilapia,smelt,pellets or whatever u soak in the vits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I'm a believer in vitachem also. Never tried with prawn, but used to soak crickets in it before aro feedings. I need to buy some more..I also agree a marketprawn only diet will lead you to a very unhealthy dat

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Pellets give them all they need why make things harder than they need to be

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I use frozen prawns regularly and have always had good growth in fish fed them, I'd never consider feeding on prawn alone though, unless forced to by fussy fish, in which case I'd be doing as krichardson suggested and loading the food.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
That's for the advice people-I've been putting some food sticks in the prawn but think I'll go back and starve it a bit to get it on pellets. I thought prawn wasn't good long term. He eats the bloodworms I feed the Dollars also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store