366 g arowana tank.

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hello guys.
I'm Diogo, I'm from Portugal.
I'm setting up a new tank to keep some really cool fish. Those that made you dream big when you had your first aquarium.
This is my set up:
7ft Lx 3 ft Wx 2,3 ft H custom made tank.
I already have the glass sheets in the aquarium house but the structure is not yet ready.
First question, is it appropriate for an arowana? If not, I'll build one even bigger but I rather not do it just yet :p

Thanks guys

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
3' wide is good for a looooong time if not for life(silver aros being the only one that may get to 36") . Make sure you have a way to secure lids and be sure to post up pics!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
That's a great size tank to start! All kinds of Arowana will be fine for a long time. This hobby is so addicting Im sure that you will build an even bigger aquarium by the time your fish are out growing their home. Just don't get an Arapaima.

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting such quick replies.

I'm thinking silver arowana, it's very difficult to find any other kind of aro in Portugal. They're not illegal but are very very hard to come buy.
The lid is being taken care of. It's a pretty tricky build but I'm positive it will come back awesome.

No hehehehe :p arapaimas are ( still) out of my league. But I've swimmed with a couple of them in my friends lake in Brazil. He owns a huge fazenda in the state of matogrosso and with such big pond he has no need for an aquarium. They're very powerful but truly majestic.
I'll be posting some more tonight.

Thanks again

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hi.
Since I had quite a bit of time to plan this build, I introduced some pretty cool details that I was not used to.
First of all, below the main tank, next to the filters and all that stuff, I'll have 3 other tanks. This allows me to breed my own guppies, crickets and frogs. Trustwhorty food for my little monsters.
The rest ( earthworms, bloodworms, prawns) I can find I'm my garden ( insane amounts of earthworms ) or in the lfs.
This three tanks are already running despite the fact that I don't have the arowana. I'll make the list of the technical stuff in another post.

Thank you you for reading this and you are welcome to comment

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
In my opinion it's well worth the search and investment to find an Asian. Asian arowanas arn't as hard to find as they used to be, just more expensive so shops may not stock them unless it's a special request. And there are also many more affordable attractive ones now with all the farming and hybrids etc.

In all reality that tank will be fine with a Silver for a very very long time although it might not look so big after a couple years. On the other hand it would be perfect for an asian aro to live a very long happy life in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store