Ray Tank Decor?

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I have an 8'x2'x30" high tank with pool filter sand substrate. I had some good sized driftwood and stones in it, but it was taking up too much room at the bottom and my female Motoro was having some difficulty getting around. Right now the tank is free of decor. I know my dimensions are not the greatest for rays, but does anyone have any recommendations and examples for appropriate decor in this type of tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I've always been a fan of no decor. I lke the bare tank with the rays. I wonder if that is healthy for them or not, as in do they crave a bit of cover? In my experience they are very social and mine are not skiddish in the least bit, so I truly don't think it bothers them, and I figure the more surface area they have to explore the better. That being said if decor is something YOU like to see in your tank, my suggestion would be to get one with a bigger footprint, I'd say at least 3 deep.

I guess I didn't really answer your question, so maybe some hanging plants, or the odd nice plastic plant here and there paired with one peice of decor for contrast (skull, dragon, sunken ship, whatever you're into), but I wouldn't suggest too much more because rays need surface area.

steve_b

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
My tank has a sand substrate and no decor. I like to give the rays as much room as possible.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Don't think I bigger tank is in the cards right now, I have thought of maybe a stock tank though...

I like nice natural decor, they get so big though! I thought maybe someone had some creative options.

I wonder if the rays rather have a bare bottom or some sort of substrate...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I would keep no decor in there if i was you. Have as much space as possible.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Not wide enough for much decor if any. But for what it's worth i find rays love to climb on and blow around in bits of drift wood laying on the sand. So it does not need to be a large and tall piece, just flat is good with nooks and crannies that they can blow around in looking for food. It gives them something to do. After all it must get pretty boring living in the same space your whole life!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have found large rocks and wood to be a problem once the rays get big

I have had big big boulder that the big rays still manage to push around

At one point when the lights was out I thought my tank was cracking when in fact it was one of my big females pushing a rock around

If you have substrate that is the rays cover if they need it

A totally bare tank with no substrate is just wrong for rays
I just got 2 pearl rays that had never seen substrate before after placing them in my small tank the first thing the did was pump the sand looking for food then they covered themselves they loved it

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I have found large rocks and wood to be a problem once the rays get big

I have had big big boulder that the big rays still manage to push around

At one point when the lights was out I thought my tank was cracking when in fact it was one of my big females pushing a rock around

If you have substrate that is the rays cover if they need it

A totally bare tank with no substrate is just wrong for rays
I just got 2 pearl rays that had never seen substrate before after placing them in my small tank the first thing the did was pump the sand looking for food then they covered themselves they loved it

Totally agree!

I tried the glass bottom a little while back after 30 years of using substrate, I soon reverted back.Glass bottom shows them off beautifully but at the end of the day they aint trophies in a glass display cabinet! We should not deprive them of their basic needs, if they are going to be kept for our pleasure then lets make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Its a old debate but this is my opinion.

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
Totally agree!

I tried the glass bottom a little while back after 30 years of using substrate, I soon reverted back.Glass bottom shows them off beautifully but at the end of the day they aint trophies in a glass display cabinet! We should not deprive them of their basic needs, if they are going to be kept for our pleasure then lets make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Its a old debate but this is my opinion.
Very well said.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Great thought all, thanks! I will keep it as is for now. I I can find some small driftwood to push around may do that, but the bigger stuff will stay out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store