Will Red Zebras Hybridize with Cobalt Blue Zebras?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
In a 75 gallon, if i had a solid group of each species, is there a relatively high chance of hybridization between these two species? I love that these two have an almost identical shape but opposite colors, but if there is a high chance of hybrids being created, ill go with yellow labs instead of red zeebs. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Yes.

Also, in a 75, yellow labs might get harassed to death by zebras. All depends on the attitude of the dominant male.

Damn, well ill tell ya surprisingly enough in my experiences, yellow labs have been a species that ive been able to mix with all types of moderately aggressive mbuna. That being said, ive seen some very hyper dominant cobalt blues so your right that could happen. Well i love the cobalts, what are some good options for a second species to have in the tank with the cobalts that will have a nice color contrast?

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
75 for zebra is still a little small. i would try yellow labs, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Maybe get the labs a little bigger than the zebras to help them a bit.

For a third species, you could try a trio or more of syno. Multipuntatus(spel?). They are a bit expensive but in a group they come out. Mbunas ignore them and black and white patterns are attractive for catfish.

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
75 for zebra is still a little small. i would try yellow labs, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Maybe get the labs a little bigger than the zebras to help them a bit.

For a third species, you could try a trio or more of syno. Multipuntatus(spel?). They are a bit expensive but in a group they come out. Mbunas ignore them and black and white patterns are attractive for catfish.

Yeah the lfs has labs in a few sizes, ill go larger and try it out ill never know till i try unfortunately, and as for those particular synos ive seen them at the fish store and you aint kidding they only sell adults and they are not cheap haha. Would they keep fry under control? Id want a few survivors to grow in the tank but i dont want a sudden explosion of new baby fish either

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store