Curious about NGT

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Ive pretty much fallen into the dat addiction, and NGTs look like they will be the way i go next, if i can find a juvie. Hopefully Ichiban gets em in again in a few months when my build is done.

Point is, how are they w/ other dats (i have a classic 4 and 3 bar indos) and other tankmates in general? Itll be going into a minimum of 220 gallons (exact dimens are still in the works, minimum of 6x2.5x2.5, max of 7x3x3).

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A NGT will more than likely fight with your indos and destroy whatever harmony you have in your tank.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
When stable, NGT are beautiful. Got a 5", sold it as it was a always picking on my Indos. Tried again with a 12", paid $250, it always chased and beat up my 12" Indo. I've given up on them!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
My NGT cost me a 30" black arowana, trashed the fins on my RTG and was the cause of the scabs on the mouths of my wide bar silver dollars as they were constantly being chased by the NGT. The 520 gallon tank wasn't big enough for them to get away. I would stay far and clear away from any NGT's if I were you. Unless you like chaos in your tank and possible casualties then maybe they are the datnoid for you! :duh:

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Oof brutal. Sounds like a jardini in dat form. Damn they look so sick, I'm quite dissapointed by this info and glad I didn't pick one up yet haha. If I can ever have a big species tank for one fish it would be an ngt.

Thanks for the help guys, I don't like comms that are utter boredom, I like to see a bit of chasing and such but not casualties. I love all my current fish and would hate to lose any of them

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Ive never owned one either but now im curious so basically this fish can only be kept with other vicious beasts what type of tank mates do know of that co-exist with the ngt

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fattiger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Where the Amazon meets the Mekong
Again it depends on individual fish

I have a 14" NGT with 10 other dats of various sizes and species and other nondat fish and other than occasional chases the tank is still peaceful

I have seen meaner smaller ngt and mellower bigger ngt so I wont let anyone talk me off before trying them as long as u have a separation tank and be willing to sell and try again if one particular fish didnt work out

I am so happy with mine and its part of my complete dat collection

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Ah! Good I was hoping to hear something like this. I will most likely give it a shot when I get the build done then, I do have multiple tanks I can swing separations anytime. Plus its a pretty rare fish so if I do find one it shouldn't be hard to rehome if it doesn't work out. They're simply too gorgeous and unique of a dat for me not to try if there is a lil hope

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store