All male tank help

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Just wondering how do you get an all
male hap / peacock tank? Do you buy 4 and get rid of three? Do you buy males? At what size can you sex them? I like the look of them but I'm lost lol not planning on doing it just wondering how

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
Well you have two options, one is either you buy small juvies and then wait to see which turn out to be a male and then get rid of the rest. Or if your willing to spend some money you can buy larger fish that you can tell are males. Also keep in mind that when doing an all male tank try to keep one male of each kind or those that don't look similar as this will lower aggression. But if you do choose to do that just keep an eye on those fish. I have two ob males, but they are still young.

Also you usually see them start to color up around 3in, but sometimes you may have the late bloomer. Hope this helps.

Aquatilium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Just wondering how do you get an all
male hap / peacock tank? Do you buy 4 and get rid of three? Do you buy males? At what size can you sex them? I like the look of them but I'm lost lol not planning on doing it just wondering how

The best solution to your question is to ideally purchase all males and introduce them into your tank at once. If you add a single to an existing community all male tank it can turn into disaster , it tends to throw off the pecking order of the already existing tank usually ends up in the new addition to be eliminated.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Those kind of fish are fairly easy to sex at a fairly small (and cheap) age - or, just buy the obvious males in each tank.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
The drawback of buying juvenile peacocks and selling back the females is that many of them look virtually the same. You won't be able to tell what species of female you are selling back; that might be a deal breaker with some LFS and most online sellers.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So one couldn't buy 3-4 of a type of fish and put in a grow out tank the simply add the male to his male tank due to aggression and fighting you'd have to order online or what ever the 15 males at once how do you know what haps and what peacocks will mix well

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
Well when it comes to haps avoid the ones that get over 10in as they tend to be a little more aggressive and may eat any smaller peacocks.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
So one couldn't buy 3-4 of a type of fish and put in a grow out tank the simply add the male to his male tank due to aggression and fighting you'd have to order online or what ever the 15 males at once how do you know what haps and what peacocks will mix well

It's possible to do that but it's a risk. The more fish you have to spread out aggression the more that is likely to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store