Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
My flowerhorn is bloated please take a look to see how bad he looks Thank you

He is not eating at all but still active chasing other babies flowerhorn around

tank is 50 gallon

water parameter seem perfect

He was being a hog and ate some of the shredded shrimp from the big flowerhorn and end up with a bloated stomach. It seem like he cant poop it out of his anus. I have tried epsom salt bath, and I also did the 3% epsom salt injection into his esophagus. I really don't want him to die I been raising this one since he was a small fry. From what I think is that he cant poop stuff out of his anus but I am welcome to suggestion. Please post.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I had a Flowerhorn once that swallowed some gravel while eating from the bottom. He could not pass it, and blew up like a balloon. Only when I had to put him down and did an autopsy did I find the cause. Now when I do use gravel, I make sure that it's size appropriate for the fish in that tank. Did the shrimp contain shell? I've heard that mashed peas can help with constipation. It sounds like you have a bunch of fish in that tank. There's a chance it could be another health issue, though I'm not an authority on that. Good luck.

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
I had a Flowerhorn once that swallowed some gravel while eating from the bottom. He could not pass it, and blew up like a balloon. Only when I had to put him down and did an autopsy did I find the cause. Now when I do use gravel, I make sure that it's size appropriate for the fish in that tank. Did the shrimp contain shell? I've heard that mashed peas can help with constipation. It sounds like you have a bunch of fish in that tank. There's a chance it could be another health issue, though I'm not an authority on that. Good luck.

Hey he is all better now but he was in really bad shape last night since his stomach keep getting bigger so I end up picking him up rubbing his stomach a little and I saw that he been trying to poop but it got block. So I used a small tweezer to help him push it out and 2 big pieces of feces came out. His stomach went down a little bit but today hes complete fine and back to his normal self chasing his tank mates around. Ill try to fast him for 1 more day then feed him because I want to make sure he clear out everything in his digestive system.

I only have 3 flower horn babies in that 50 gallon tank and other 2 flower horns are in their own tank 40 gallon each.

Man i am glad he is doing much better[/FONT][/COLOR]

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
it was a do it or watch him die situation =_= I rather risk it and try to save him instead of just watching him getting more bloated each day... I am glad I did it

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
so the updated on him is that hes eating like his old self but only go for blood worms...but he looks good now very aggressive like he used to be but only problem is that he poop alot and I mean alot alot alot. I say that the black feces are from the 4-5 days that he was bloated and constipated but hes pooping regular color now and a huge load everytime. Should I be worry? Is it because of the epsom salt I got left in the tank? Also hes only wanting bloodworms now what should I do?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Rest his digestive system. Don't feed him for a couple of days. Do water changes to remove any residual epsom salt and he should be fine.

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
Thanks Tom,

So my flowerhorn belly look like its sucked in and looking like its flat. Its the area behind his where he poop a little the upper part look like its really flat. Any idea of whats going on? He looks healthy very active chasing others around.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Soak some pellets in some epsom salt and fed it to him once or twice a week. Its basically going to make him crap and clear his digestive system and cure constipation. By any chance are you feeding a very high protein diet? Try something along the lines of 35% protein and no blood worms or treats!

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
Yeah I will but he's not bloated anymore so I was wondering why his stomach look suck in? I am thinking its because he been pooping nonstop for the past couple days. Since I did the 3% Epsom salt injection and also dose the tank with Epsom salt. But I been doing partial WC to remove all the Epsom salt. Anyone have any idea why his stomach look suck in beside what I wrote? Can it be internal parasite? Any thoughts?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There's nothing left inside him. Let him rest and when you start feeding him feed lightly for about a week. A few pellets is all, after a week you can start to increase the amount of food.

What do you normally feed this fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store