What type of Alge eater for my setup/tank mates?

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I've got a 24" tall, 50gl bare bottom corner tank with one med size Anubia. One 18" satelite plus LED (I believe 18watts) and zero ferts, co2 etc... I don't add anything. Light is on daily for about 3.5-4hrs and the bottom of the tank is just horrible, brown alge everywhere (some spots green). Rena X3 with one chamber of crushed coral and 2 with ceramic rings. Fish- 6-7" tall discus, 4-5" tall Angel fish, 7-8" ghost knife and a 8-9" Gymnothorax Polyuranodon (moray eel). Since adding the satelite plus, my alge started growing and its driving me mad. I don't want this tank to become a burden for a single anubia. I would like to add some fish that could live with my current stock to assist on the alge issue.

I do not want any plecos, snails, shrimp or mollys. With that said, what other options do I have since I eliminated most of them Lol

(I tried to search but not very many threads come up so I must be searching the wrong words)

Thanks for the help

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
If you have decent flow and oxygen levels, what about hillstream loach?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I have real good flow and lots of oxygen. My lfs just got a big shipment of these last week, maybe 30 pcs from .75-1.5". Are they hardy little guy and do they do a good job cleaning?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Not sure about the eels aggression, but ive seen Stiphodon elegans*work wonders and they look pretty cool too. Definitely do some homework though because ive never kept them myself

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
The ones I had did keep the algae down yes, they are fairly hardy, but don't do well with ammonia spikes.. they are also pretty cool to watch

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I've got a 24" tall, 50gl bare bottom corner tank with one med size Anubia. One 18" satelite plus LED (I believe 18watts) and zero ferts, co2 etc... I don't add anything. Light is on daily for about 3.5-4hrs and the bottom of the tank is just horrible, brown alge everywhere (some spots green). Rena X3 with one chamber of crushed coral and 2 with ceramic rings. Fish- 6-7" tall discus, 4-5" tall Angel fish, 7-8" ghost knife and a 8-9" Gymnothorax Polyuranodon (moray eel). Since adding the satelite plus, my alge started growing and its driving me mad. I don't want this tank to become a burden for a single anubia. I would like to add some fish that could live with my current stock to assist on the alge issue.

I do not want any plecos, snails, shrimp or mollys. With that said, what other options do I have since I eliminated most of them Lol

(I tried to search but not very many threads come up so I must be searching the wrong words)

Thanks for the help
Hi, is your setup new? What kind of light did you have before? Which setting do you have your sat+ light on? At the best setting for plants (yellow) par is about 21 at 24 inches, and that's with a light that runs the entire length of the tank. 3.5-4 hours a day doesnt sound like enough light. And I cant see how the Sat+ would cause algae without another variable coming into play. Just a thought... If you were able to find out what's causing the algae, maybe you wouldnt need an AE. Can you post a pic?

Heres a link to info on the sat+ light
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Hi, is your setup new? What kind of light did you have before? Which setting do you have your sat+ light on? At the best setting for plants (yellow) par is about 21 at 24 inches, and that's with a light that runs the entire length of the tank. 3.5-4 hours a day doesnt sound like enough light. And I cant see how the Sat+ would cause algae without another variable coming into play. Just a thought... If you were able to find out what's causing the algae, maybe you wouldnt need an AE. Can you post a pic?

Heres a link to info on the sat+ light
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Agreed. You can get all the algae eating fish you can or even eat the algae yourself but if you don't know what's causing the problem then your just putting a bandaid on a cut that needs stitches.

Cut the light cycle down to 8-9 hours, dose excel and keep the tank clean. Also you can raise the light if need be!

BTW Otto's, sae's like to graze on algae

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I agree with the above
Also, gotta love my bristle nose plecos for some algae grazing, although amanos and nerites destroy algae for me like its nothing.
Hey hybrid, how big to most BN plecos get?

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store