Gars & cichlids ;).

EJKC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2007
Colorado
Anyone else been having your gar with cichlids? If so what fish? What GENDER? And what are the size differences. I have been able to keep all 3 of my gar with cichlids for the past 2 years, but figured out only my FEMALES wouldnt pick at the fins. Males however always harass them when they grow board. My gt for example is 3, grew her alone for a year, then have had her and the gar together ever since and they seem like they are buddies. Anyone else find this out???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
I keep 5 four inch chocalets with my 12" floridas and some 6" flowerhorns with my 14" alligators never seen any fin nipping but fh have the odd wound from trying to steal alligator gars food I target feed the alligators and fh like stick their nose where it shouldn't be haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No,
Remember that each Cichlid is different, and the same goes for gars, showing individual levels of aggression.

It might also be because your male cichlids are bullying the females to the point where the females are not comfortable enough to even swim freely around, which would explain why your males are the only ones picking on the fins.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
This is probably one of the most common mixes with gars. No problem.
I know I havnt been active in this section in a while but since when? This combo has always been a no no unless the whole being up all night is screwing with my heads

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've kept Gar with C & S.A. Cichlids since the 90's. Have rarely had issues. Had Spotted and Longnose with Dempseys,Midas,Jags,Motas,Mayans and others...only had issues with a few hyper aggressive cichlids that ended up not being compatible with anyone.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
I've tried this mix on 3 separate occasions, THINKING it was working... The gars ended up being feeders, despite being larger than the cichlids.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I've tried this mix on 3 separate occasions, THINKING it was working... The gars ended up being feeders, despite being larger than the cichlids.
This seems to be the result tgats typical. Broken backs, blindness or death

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store