My first saltwater tank! 10 gallon

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
Hey all buying my friends 10 gallon set up has everything I need, live sand, like rock, has a canister filter rated for a 55 gallon, I will be even taking his water.
So my question is what fish can I have in there! I want the coolest/nicest looking one possible for a tank this size, with no intentions of upgrading, max to a 20 gallon which I have sitting around!
Please let me know because I am a complete beginner when it comes to this!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
expect allot of headaches and frustrations. SW is more about keeping water than keeping fish. And in such a small volume of water parameters change quickly. prepare for water testing every day and keep a bucket of premixed saltwater handy. I have tried smaller SW tanks and it never worked long term. 45 breeder is the smallest I recommend and even that is allot of work 75 -125 is better for SW in my opinion.

That being said if I had a small tank I would add a catalina goby. you are going to be able to keep 1 maybe 2 fish max in that tank.

cataline.jpg

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
get rid of the canister filter its nothing but a nitrite factory on a saltwater tank. get a protein skimmer reef octopus makes a nice hob for around 150.00. you need a protein skimmer to remove fish waste. when a freshwater fish gos to the bathroom it sinks down to the bottom or floats a filter can pick it up but when a saltwater fish gos to the bathroom it dissolves and you need the protein skimmer to remove all dissolved solids. if you want a filter to run carbon get one with no bio filtration such as a whisper although you don't have to run one. also I would recommend at least a 40 breeder tank they are only 36 in long. the bigger the tank the easier to take care of the smaller the tank the less room for error. with you just starting out I would go bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store