Geophagus substrate

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
I just got a few geos and currently have pea sized gravel in my tank one of the geos is 6 inches and the others are about 4 I want to make sure they are comfortable so I was going to et sand I've had pfs before and I dont like how light it is I like darker substrate so I was thinking blasting sand but idk if it will be okay for them I've heard of people using it with no I'll effects but just want to be sure thanks!

Sent from my M9200 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
The geos ive kept spent all day sifting sand so id definitely get some sort of sand. Ive heard good things about the blasting sand, but also heard of some people finding sharp shards in it. I stick to caribsea sand because I hate washing sand, but I know it can get pricy if you dont have a good supplier and need a ton

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
The geos ive kept spent all day sifting sand so id definitely get some sort of sand. Ive heard good things about the blasting sand, but also heard of some people finding sharp shards in it. I stick to caribsea sand because I hate washing sand, but I know it can get pricy if you dont have a good supplier and need a ton
Yeah I'm on a budget haha I can get the blasting sand for like 8 dollars for 50 pounds

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
My issue with blasting sand is the nature of it. Its meant to be abrasive because well its blasting sand. Im sure it would be fine for fish, but im not sure id want my substrate sifting fish eating and spitting that all day. If you havent seen a geo in a sand bottom tank, you are in for a suprise. They literally spend most their days just sucking up, swishing around and spitting out sand

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I've had my Giraffe cat who sifts all day on black diamond sand for about 6 months with no ill effects thus far. They also sell it in a finer grade.

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
Okay if I can't find it in finer grade what are some other dark sands that are cheap?

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
Would quikcrete washed plaster sand be okay?? I need to know asap I'm at home depot right now and they have 50 pound bags for 3 bucks they have washed plaster sand and all purpose sand it feels pretty nice but let me know please!

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
I just went ahead and bought the plaster sand but I'm going to keep the receipt in case its not safe and I'll take it back so if someone can let me know if its good or not I'll appreciate it thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store