30 gallon progression

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
This is my standard 30 gallon tank that I'll be doing a journal on. Any advice/criticism is welcome

Some stats are:
Ehiem pro 2 filter
Finnex planted+ light
Flourish excel daily
Flourish iron and comprehensive 2x weekly
Fauna:
4 Bolivian rams
12 neons
1 bushynose plexiglass
1 oto
1 bumblebees catfish
Florida:
Crypt wendtii
Ruby red melon sword
Blue hydro
Amazon sword
Red tiger lotus
uploadfromtaptalk1390605525704.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390605603034.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390605652966.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390605688952.jpg
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to go out today and try and find something to attach to the driftwood and something tall to put behind the wood also

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Nice setup and great start for your tank. Looking forward to your progression and growth. Willow hygros grow very quickly with the new finnex planted plus. I've found willows to be one of the few plants my cichlids will leave alone, especially with rocks around the plant base. They look great billowing in a soft current. Good luck :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Like that red sword! Agreed more plants and a solid black back round would look great! Nice start tho

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Thanks for the replies and input, it really makes it even more enjoyable to be able to share with others who have the same interests.

As for pictures I don't have any at the moment, Will try and upload some today. Im really wanting to find some red Ludwigia but the shops around here suck in the winter.... if anyone knows of reputable online store that sells quality plants or has a ton of clippings they do not want please let me know

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
I was able to snap a few more pictures last night. I haven't added anymore plants since last time, but the ones in there are starting to fill in. I forgot to mention last time that I am using a dirt substrate mixture that I created myself.

Full tank shot
Aquario1.jpg

The Red Tiger Lotus has to be by far one of my favorite plants. I cannot wait until it shoots off lily pads. The leaves that it has now are all at least the size of my hand.
Aquario.jpg

Red Melon sword. I wish it was a darker red, but its still relatively new so we'll see what happens.
Aquario2.jpg

Blue hygro, I don't really see any "Blue" in it, but maybe it just hasn't colored up yet.
Aquario3.jpg

Bolivian Rams have to be my favorite fish of all time.
Aquario4.jpg

Ghost shrimp that survived the rams.
Aquario5.jpg

Just a cool picture of an oto.
Aquario6.jpg

Green wendtii. I like how its starting to get darker stems and red-ish veins.
Aquario7.jpg

Aquario.jpg

Aquario1.jpg

Aquario2.jpg

Aquario3.jpg

Aquario4.jpg

Aquario5.jpg

Aquario6.jpg

Aquario7.jpg

Aquario8.jpg

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Blue hygro is a silly name for hygrophilia corymbosa. Its more a lime green plant, and it gets a bit of a red tint under high lighting.

And don't let that lotus grow pads or else that's all it will grow and it will be a suck

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Well that's kind of a bummer with the Blue Hygro. I mean I knew that it wouldn't be literally blue, but I imagined a little more of a different color. With the lotus I'll just keep pruning it back then, it shoots off new leaves every other day anyways. I also read that they release a toxin that kills plants within a certain radius of them, is this true or just some made up bull****? I would love to plant something behind it in that corner but I don't want to buy something just to have it die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store