First tank?

gabe2068

Feeder Fish
Jan 25, 2014
tomball texas
Hey guys im new here and am serious about starting my first "real" tank and I plan on going BIG like 10 foot long tanks here where would the best place to buy the aquarium,filters, and fish? Im thinking about possibly having a ray or an eel filtration is my only concern.

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
Aquarium? Unless you want to spend a lot of money (multiple grand), look on the marketplace here and craigslist. A new 180G (6x2x2) is upwards of 800/900 new and what you want is a lot bigger, and will cost a lot more. Eels are easy, rays I'll leave to the experts. But you'd want to consider the footprint as most rays need 3 ft wide tanks (or wider?).

Filters? With a tank that large, you're pretty much going to have to build a sump (unless you want a bunch of canisters). I'd buy a used tank of cl and make it into a sump. I'd probably get the pump of ebay.

Fish? We'll worry about the setup first!

Welcome to MFK, there's tons of knowledge to be found here. I recommend scouring the forum using the search forum. You'll have a lot to learn before you're ready to take something like this on!

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Hey guys im new here and am serious about starting my first "real" tank and I plan on going BIG like 10 foot long tanks here where would the best place to buy the aquarium,filters, and fish? Im thinking about possibly having a ray or an eel filtration is my only concern.
Are you talking about fresh or saltwater rays?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
a concrete build will probably be the most cost effect way of getting a monster tank if your home has concrete floors, which you will be wanting anyhow with a tank that size!-) maybe you could speak to a local pond builder. if you wanna go big from the beginning thats what i would do... something like 10x4x3 with a glass front panel will house most monsters if thats what your into!-) run a drip system and uv if your planning on rays!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store