Buying my first ray?????

Trey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Dover De
I plan on buying my first ray tomorrow from a fellow member, I would have to travel about 3 hours to get the ray and 3 hours back. Will the ray be okay in a bag for the length of the trip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If it is not packed with oxygen then i would bring a portable bubbler, however the short answer is yes( it should be fine, properly acclimate though.

Trey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Dover De
Definitely going to have to get one

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
It would be better if you could get a poly box and line it with a bag, it's much more comfortable for them and the oxygen is easier absorbed because of the large surface area. 3 hours should be ok as long as it's very large compared to the ray and the water is clean. Good luck, post pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Trey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Dover De
So would I tie the bag with the airline in it?

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
We'll with such short amount of time tell u get it. I would take a five gallon bucket of worm water with u and a tote. Then on you way home stop half way and do a 50% water change with the 5 gallon of water and that will bring back up his oxygen and take out half of his/her bio waste. And it will be totally fine for the trip. We ship rays all the time via airplane and have had them in bags for 8 to 10 hrs without any problems just as long as the water doesn't get below 60 degrees it will have no issues. Hope it helps ya.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
They also have battary powered heaters or ones u can hook up to your car if you are worried about the water getting cold but yeah a big bag filled with oxygen put him in a styraphone box with a heat pack he'll be fine to

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I plan on buying my first ray tomorrow from a fellow member, I would have to travel about 3 hours to get the ray and 3 hours back. Will the ray be okay in a bag for the length of the trip?

Just place the ray directly in the poly box

I have moved every single one of my rays like this with no problems

If the ray is being moved by a shipping company then yes put the ray in bags

If you are moving the ray yourself the put it directly in the poly box

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Done this drive with rays a few times now. 4 there and 4 back. Never used a batt powered bubbler although if you can probably be better. Not sure where your from but all times for me were in the cold canadian winter. Big plastic tub lined with plastic bag and tied after so you don't get water splashing out in your vehicle. A couple of those hand warmers from a package taped to the inside of the plastic lid. Some news paper on top of plastic bag just in case the hand warmers fall off ( don't want to risk melting bag ). Done this with pups and rays up to 12". Never a problem not once. Good luck man. Get ready for a lot more trips cause you'll be addicted to them pretty quick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store