Any disadvantages?

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
For the large tank i'm planning I want to do an in-wall setup...will most likely go with a standard rectangle but I do like the looks of the L-shaped aquariums. Are there any disadvantages to an L-shaped aquarium for those who have them or have experience with them? I don't see any but I wasn't sure if the shape posed any issues. Thanks.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Well, if you're gonna do an L shaped in wall aquarium, why not just do a rectangle with two sides visible? If you do an L, you're gonna give up like 1/3rd of your total volume. It is the difference of having a 500 gallon rectangle vs a 300 or so gallon L, both on similar footprints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The only problem I have with any in wall tank is not being able to work in the tank from the front. Working in the tank from behind you can't see what your doing.
When I do mine, I'm going to put cabinet doors above it and in front of it. The way I have it planned, I won't even be able to get behind it.

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Well, if you're gonna do an L shaped in wall aquarium, why not just do a rectangle with two sides visible? If you do an L, you're gonna give up like 1/3rd of your total volume. It is the difference of having a 500 gallon rectangle vs a 300 or so gallon L, both on similar footprints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks...didn't really think of it that way..makes sense to gain the tank volume with the rectangle.

and I will also be building a room behind the tank for all equipment and maintenance so I will be able to get at everything without a problem.

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Yeah I'm gonna make sure the wall is treated so I don't have moisture issues...plus I'm gonna run a dehumidifier in the room behind the tank as well. I will have panels above the tank in the front I can access the tank from as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
As above have mentioned they are more expensive per volume of water. The tank itself is more, the cabinets are more, an you need to protect your wall.

If you don't mind the extra cost per volume I think they look great.

What size are you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store